Disabled people in similar roles to look up to — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled people in similar roles to look up to

Lalavcook
Lalavcook Community member Posts: 7 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: I’m Michelle, and I’m a Pre-Employment Advisor.

Comments

• Lalavcook
    Lalavcook Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    edited November 2015
    Hi Michelle,

I am looking to take my next career step into junior management in the voluntary sector, but can't find any other disabled people in similar roles to look up to. I was wondering if there are any mentoring schemes for disabled people looking at career progression.

Thanks.
  • Chell
    Chell Community member Posts: 20 Listener
    Hi Lalavcook,

Most jobs that I have worked in they have either been in large financial companies who have there own Disability support groups or I have worked for disability companies promoting employability. So I am not an expert in this field. I would suggest you contact your HR department to see if they have a disability group already. If they have not you can contact your union to see if they have such a group. Alternatively you can go out side your company. I have just completed a little research on line and I have found a lady who supports both individuals and companies to be more disability aware.

http://www.dianawrightsolutions.com/

you can post question to Diana directly of the best way to start, she has some intrusting facts about where disabled people are currently and how to move up the employment ladder.

http://www.adwuk.org/Businesses/Solutions/Consultancy.aspx

also may be able to help you approach your HR if you are not sure how to go about it. But also provide a host of other services.

There were also lots of sites which give you great tips on how to start you own support groups. Nothing shows a employer your skills by showing you can take the initiative and set up your own !!

I bet if you phoned our help line, they will no of further help that may be available.

hope this helps

Chell

If I can find out any other organisation or if we have any in house I will let you know and leave a message on here.

Brightness