Hi, my name is Tudor! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Tudor!

Options
Tudor
Tudor Community member Posts: 7 Connected
I'm 25, I have several severe mental illnesses, I have Tourette's syndrome meaning I have motor and vocal tics and I have an unofficial diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome (2 psychs and a senior social worker all say I am autistic, but none can officially diagnose, trying to even get referred for a diagnosis at the moment is proving to be impossible)
All of these combined affect all areas of my life.

Comments

• SofRoch
    SofRoch Community member Posts: 22 Listener
    Options
    Hi Tudor,
    Welcome to the Community! I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties but hopefully speaking to people here can offer you help and support.
  • Maisymona
    Maisymona Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    Options
    Welcome :-) Sorry to hear that getting a diagnosis is proving to be impossible. Remember that any diagnosis doesn't change who you are tho, it's good to try and focus on our individual strengths, and how the life challenges we face daily have given us something extra special that makes us unique.

I look forward to reading some more of your story.

I wish you all the very best and I hope you get the outcome you are looking for.

Noah
  • tessy
    tessy Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi Tudor, i am a mum to a 20 year old son that has Tourette's syndrome motor and vocal tics, Asperger's syndrome, dyspraxia and ADHA. Sorry to hear you are having problems getting a diagnosis. I have only just joined the site myself and was just looking around when i noticed your post. I joined for myself but i wanted to say hi and maybe connect you with my son if you would both like :)
  • Tudor
    Tudor Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Options
    Hi all thank you for your welcomes. May have made a little progress with the referral process, I was proactive and emailed the greater Manchester autism consortium asking where I would need to be referred to, which I told my GP and she told me I clearly knew more than her and to leave the contact details for a referral of the place at reception and she will do a referral. Going to see her next week to discuss my mental health and it has got significantly worse and my partner was sensible and told me I need to see someone soon to try and avoid ending up on a psych ward again. When I saw the GP last time she had also referred me for a gastroscopy (camera into my stomach as I have bad acid reflux and she wants to find out the cause) she said the people who do the procedure will assess me, but it's likely I'll have to have it done under general anaesthetic due to the severity of my tics.

Noah I agree that a diagnosis doesn't change who I am, but it can mean I could get more support as often you can't access the support without a formal diagnosis. Which is frustrating.

Hi Tessy. It would be nice to connect with your son if he would like that :)
    I hope you get the support you need from here.

Brightness