my son is 10 and just recently had two hearing tests and not to sure what they mean — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

my son is 10 and just recently had two hearing tests and not to sure what they mean

Comments

• cheryl38
    cheryl38 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    my son is 10 and just recently had two hearing tests and not to sure what they mean, its got low,mid and high right ear is saying 40,40 and40 with H.F Rattle of 45 and lleft ear is saying 50, 40, 40 with H.F Rattle of 45. there was limited resonses. he has been refered to pead audiology.
  • VickiKirwin
    VickiKirwin Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Hi cheryl38

Low, mid, and high refer to the frequency (pitch) of the sounds that your son was played, and HF rattle is a high frequency rattle. The numbers are decibel (dB) levels. The pass level for normal hearing with this type of test is usually around 25-30 dB, with the greater the number being the greater the hearing problem. These results suggest that there may be a mild hearing loss in both ears although to could also just mean your son wasn’t interested enough in the quieter sounds to respond to them or the room he was tested in wasn’t very quiet at the time. The paediatric audiology team will do some more in-depth testing for you and if they do find a hearing problem they will advise you on the cause and on what can be done to help. He may not hear a whisper, when called from a distance or from another room but will hear you one-to-one in a quiet environment. So in the meantime try to help your son hear as well as possible by facing him when speaking and reducing background noise as much as possible when you talk to him.

Vicki

Brightness