Pregnant with cerebral palsy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pregnant with cerebral palsy

Gemstr
Gemstr Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
I have cerebral palsy and I have just found out I am pregnant. 4 weeks I have been wishing to get pregnant for so long, now that I am I don't know what to do. I am worrying about how I will manage with my baby and a disability I have a very supportive husband who is brilliant but I worry about how I will cope. I walk with two sticks and have limited balance. I know people with disabilities get pregnant and cope, but I am not sure how they do there seems to be little if information and support available for parents with disabilities and I feel totally overwhelmed. I have emailed the disabled parents network and local council but no response . Has anyone any advice. Or has anyone been in the same situation.?

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @Gemstr!

Welcome to the site. There was an interesting discussion about pregnancy with CP last year you might find interesting: https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/25434/pregnancy-and-social-work
  • Jgeek
    Jgeek Community member Posts: 66 Connected
    Hey @Gemstr, I kinda know a little about this, (I'm sure the above website is great though) I too would love a baby but I have CP and my fiancee has autism so I often wonder how we'd cope. Sometimes so much as hugs me and I'm paranoid! I then think of the love that we share and surrounds us, if you really want this you need to see how practical it will be, the authorities only care if the child is happy and safe, as you would; new mums always feel under scrutiny but we may need to have move to prove. On a positive note if you do have a good support network set up, family, care etc, that child will be wanted, loved and cared for by so many and that beats a number of 'normal' families already.

Only you know your situation, these are some random thoughts of mine you may totally hate. Take care
  • Gemstr
    Thank you for your comments any view points are much appreciated
  • Holly Monaghan-Cocker
    Holly Monaghan-Cocker Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Hi Gemstr, I work for a production company called markthree media and we are currently looking for contributors for a commissioned documentary about people with disabilities who are pregnant. We'd love to talk to you about being involved if possible. My email address is holly@markthreemedia.com
    Please could you drop me a line or let me know your details? Thanks! And congratulations - such wonderful news! x
  • Amy Louisa Ellis
    Amy Louisa Ellis Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi ya I have mild cp and have 4 children between 16 and 4 I had them all naturally so know a fair bit about it contact me if ya wanna have a chat x
  • Gemstr
    Thank you for your message Amy Louisa. It's nice to hear from people who are successfully parenting with cp. at the moment I feel like i am undertaking mission impossible and my baby boy isn't even here yet. My main problem is lack of balance and worrying about how I am going to lift my baby. Don't know if you had the same worries or have any techniques or adaptations I could use. Remap are making me a mobile crib so I can get round the house so that's good. I do drive but have resigned myself to the fact I won't be able to get out. Is there anything you think that you think would be useful to know thanks again x
  • Amy Louisa Ellis
    Amy Louisa Ellis Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I found going out ok cos I got a sturdy pushchair I know use a scooter so have one on my lap and one on the back you will need to try and get out and about how far in your pregnancy are you ? X
  • Gemstr
    I would love to go out when baby is here but haven't got a safe way of transporting baby from car to pram with my balance issues. It's not too bad though as my husband is having shared parternity leave with me. So I have two months at home with baby and then go back to work and hubby takes over for 3 months. I am 6 month pregnant today x
  • Kelly Gibson-Soul
    Kelly Gibson-Soul Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi I'm Kelly and I'm 33 I have cp spastic diplegia, i have 3 children between 8yrs and 11mths. I too found it hard to find other people to talk to and find out how they coped through pregnancy and mother hood. Because of that I have winged it adapted to it my own way as like every mother does. But it has taken a toll on my body the one thing I wished I kept up was the exercise as my mobility and weight gain has hit hard. So my aim this year is to try and lose weigh so I'm able to still play around with my children.
    I use crutches for open spaces and a mobility scooter which I push my 11 mth daughter in her pushchair whilst on my scooter as its the closet I'll get to walking round with her. Makes me feel "normal".
    How did you guys copy with pregnancy and how did your body and mind take it ?
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi everyone,

I just tried to tag you all, but the forum's being a bit strange! A midwife has just posted on the community looking to hear about disabled people's experiences of pregnancy and postnatal support: 
    https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/29746/questions-about-trying-to-get-pregnant-being-pregnant-childbirth-and-the-early-postnatal-period

It would be great if you could share your experiences with her!
    Thanks,
    Alex

Brightness