An Idea how to relax our muscles? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

An Idea how to relax our muscles?

Noah
Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
Over the last 6 months or so, I have been using Ibuprofen gel as one of my main pain reliefs, Find it very effective at hitting the spots without having possible stomach problems that oral pain killers can give.

I've been wondering recently, if it possible to get muscle relaxants in a gel form! As probably like most, I find the continuous variability in my muscle tightness one of the hardest thing to deal with, as it seems to change by the hour, tight loose, tight loose. Any suggestions?

Comments

• helpathand
    helpathand Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Noah, You are someone who takes a lot of time over replying on this site, I am a newbee. Have not found any relaxants in gell form - only wheat bags; massage (sadly at a price) or hot baths. Maybe some one will invent one.
  • Noah
    edited January 2016
    Firstly - A big welcome to the community, from reading your profile it looks like you have a lot of experience. I look forward to reading some more of your posts.

Thank you for your reply - I had completely forgotten about this post a it was such a long time ago!

Like you say, maybe a gel muscle relaxant will be brought to market one day.

A few of us have been having some very interesting discussions on things that help manage our CP. I would encourage you to get involved. They are proving extremely interesting as many of us experience similar challenges and have found some certain things to be helpful.

Here is a link to one of those discussions: https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/28690/things-that-you-have-found-helpful-for-managing-your-cp

Noah
  • liayn85
    liayn85 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    My muscle stick and Biofreeze gel do wonders for me. Also constant stretching. Maybe try yoga. Good luck to you!
  • Noah
    Thanks for your post. I'm intrigued, what's a muscle stick? And Biofreeze stick? I agree, constant stretching does help.

Noah
  • Stayce
    Stayce Community member, CP Network Posts: 843 Pioneering
    edited February 2016
    Thanks for posts most interesting. Muscle sticks in the purest sense are self massage sticks often used on acupressure points.

Applications that can be applied like a roll on deodorant are also often referred to as muscle sticks. I have used Dynamint roll on for tired and aching muscles http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/dynamint-joint-muscle-roll-on-60032482 which is quite good. Biofreeze ( cold therapy) can be bought as a roll or a tube.

I would recommend Ceteum (cold treatment)
    http://www.myoproducts.co.uk/shop.asp
    Osteopath that I see recommended this -if you suffer with a lot of muscular/tendon pain, muscle spasms or inflammation as a result this really hits the spot and completely natural.

Hope this helps

Best wishes
  • liayn85
    liayn85 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    edited February 2016
    Hi Noah, I'm new and my settings weren't accurate so I wasn't notified of your comment, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It looks like Stayce has answered your comment.

Muscle sticks are super helpful, and basically work the same way that a rolling pin rolls out dough (and mine even looks almost exactly like a rolling pin), and involves "kneading" out the tight muscles via force and pressure with the stick. I don't know much about pressure points though, and I use the stick whenever my muscles are giving me a hard time. The only problem is the bruising and that sometimes the muscles get too loose afterwards (relative to the long-term spastic tightness beforehand) and they do not know how to properly respond or adjust to the change. That's why I do it along with stretching and as a need-be type thing.

I'm sure there is some gel out there for you like Biofreeze; it must be just an American product.

I am also seeing a physiotherapist who specializes in sports massage. I have only gone twice but it is making a huge change.
  • Jianne1274
    Jianne1274 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi I am new ..but I use a painkilling gel called piroxicam...that helps to relax my muscles and eases the tightening..might not work for everyone but worth a try maybe..

Brightness