What is likely to happen during the school observation? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is likely to happen during the school observation?

Options
Claire16
Claire16 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hello my name is Hannah and I'm an educational psychologist.

Comments

• Claire16
    Claire16 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hello, after an 18 month wait my son is currently undergoing an asc assessment. He is 7 years old and was referred by school to SALT, who referred to Camhs, who referred for the assessment. He has had his medical, and I was advised by the paediatrician to expect an asc diagnosis based on observation made re: behaviour and mannerisms, and the way he was talking. His school observation from an EP is due next week, and I wondered if you could give me some information.
    What is likely to happen during the school observation? I have been told not to tell him about it which I won't, but wondered what they are likely to be looking for/at?
    I am also a little worried about how much weight the school obs will carry. Knowing my son as well as I do I am sure he has hfa and school have shared for a long time that they suspect this. SAL and Camhs reports all pointed towards it. Though there are instantly recognisable signs such as no eye contact and jumping and flapping etc, other issues are not easy to see in a snap-shot visit and they may well see him playing with other children. Though he struggles with other children in many respects (reported by his teachers and seen at home) he is also quite capable of joining in and being happy with others sometimes. Are they likely to dismiss all other concerns raised by ourselves and other agencies if they think he has friends based on what they see? I know it sounds strange - like I want him to have hfa, I don't obviously, but I truly think he has and we have waited so long for this assessment and its so important to us that it's accurate for him.
    I would welcome your advice Hannah, thank you.
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Community member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Options
    Hello Claire16
    I think it is best of you contact the educational psychologist directly, as I cannot speak for them in terms of what they will be focusing on during the observation. For reassurance, all psychologists are trained to understand Autism and its varying presentations across the spectrum. It is unlikely they will confirm ASC or otherwise. Most likely they will report strengths and difficulties, alongside recommendations for what can be put in place at school.
    Hope it goes well.

Brightness