Hi, my name is Caja! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Caja!

Caja
Caja Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I am the mother of a 26 year old young man who has autism and severe learning difficulties. He is currently living a few miles away in supported living which isn't very supportive!

Comments

• Jgeek
    Jgeek Community member Posts: 66 Connected
    hey Caja welcome to our community, its great he has moved to supportive living, well done for getting him to that level. My partner has autism & his mum has found it hard, I think it'll be a case of me taking over help straight from mum! Knowing how much love & potential people with this condition can bring, I urge you to seek help/advice from the supportive living to understand why they are not helping him in the way you expect- by definition they should support
  • Caja
    Caja Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thanks for the welcome! The problem with his supported living is that it is run by a company who have profit making as their main, they employ very young staff who have little or no experience of autism or special needs and pay them very poorly for a difficult and challenging job. I have lots of sympathy for the staff but get very frustrated with the managers who continually try to cut costs.
    Good luck with the job hunt, I used to work in learning support at a local college and supported several students with cp so I know what a struggle the job market can be.

Brightness