Hi, my name is Tonnie! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Tonnie!

Tonnie
Tonnie Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, I am Ton and looking for help as we are going to built holiday homes for disabled in Spain. I like to get in touch with people who are willing to think with us, so we make what is needed. We have been busy with this for 2 years and are now in the process of moving all forward. As they say....it is the details that matter, so any experience or idea or suggestion can help. We want to make something that works.........

Comments

• Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Hi welcome to the forum :) Just an idea, but could you do a holiday home that is suitable for people or children with autism? Nice plain walls, not too cluttered, sturdy furniture, TV fixed to the wall, extra safety features - like safety glass, high stair gates, a lock on kitchen door or cupboards, a bedroom with no hard things that someone could hurt themselves with and a 'safe space' bed, maybe washable mattress covers? it would be ideal for some families. I am sure National Autistic Society could advise better than me.
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Other ideas could be:
    Having a smoke alarm with a flashing light so Deaf people can see it
    If you provide bedding, getting some special pillows that are safe for people who have seizures, and also offer (but don't insist on!) waterproof sheets and pillowcases. I have found we use at least twice as many towels, sheets and bedding sets with my disabled child!!
  • Tonnie
    Tonnie Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you very much for your help. We are looking at all options, and how we can make this work so it suits a lot of people. If we can make it so a lot of people use it, we can make affordable which is important for the users. Our first intention is to focus on wheelchairs. We will also be looking for people not just to advice, but also eventually to work in Spain. We believe that the management needs people in a wheelchair who have the day to day look at options in the area like bars restaurants, so it does not come from an out of date website. However, your comments and ideas are very welcome, as we have an open mind at the moment. Thank you.

Brightness