My son. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son.

Robinsmama
Robinsmama Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My youngest has Down syndrome, he's 5, he prefers men to women but adores his pm LSA at school, he will do anything for her but barely acknowledges me. He won't cooperate at home with anyone, he's destructive, violent and roars a lot. All I hear is how wonderful other peoples kids with DS are, what a blessing they are, how their lives were so bland before their child was born. I feel terrible, I love my son with all my heart but gosh, he's hard work. People tell me how much they love him and how cute he is and all I can think of is his trail of destruction. I'm looking for sympathy...can you tell??? lol

Comments

• Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Hi Robinsmama, welcome to the forum. I wish there was some way we could send virtual pieces of cake and cups of tea to each other on here! The good thing is, we can come and have a 'moan', and chances are, find other people who feel exactly the same. It really isn't easy, I find my little girl is gorgeous when she sees other people then turns into a rosary, unco-operative little minx when they have all gone. She is gorgeous, and cute, and it is lovely that people say that - but like you, I find that doesn't always help!!
  • Foxylady01
    Foxylady01 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited March 2016
    Hi I have a son who is 6.5 and he is also very very challenging. Non verbal but walking since 14 moths and soooo strong!. Nope. You are not alone. He has now been moved to Sen school as mainstream could not manage and we think it better meets his sensory needs. When there he had to move class and now has 1-1 there ( in Sen school they don't usually have 1-1 unless medically needed). My little 'Blessing' has just turned a bit of a corner in that he is beginning to use more signs to communicate. ( school have been wonderful developing this) He seems to be able to attend a bit better. Today in church he was all over the place..after a while, he started being destructive knocking things over ,pouring water etc. This was his cue to leave and to be fair he had already indicated this but I tried to stick it out more..silly me! I said are you sad you look cross.you need to Sign. What do you want? He signed he wanted to go home.! It was getting to much sensory wise I guess. This is pretty much a first. :) I just have to remember he is about two in his head. It's hard at home cos we have to get on with stuff and can't always give undivided attention like they can. I'm with you sweety. It's isolating and very hard..holidays are impossible cos going out like normal people is like battling with Mike Tyson! Yes funny michevious and wonderful but also stubborn demanding and hurtful at times. Xxxxx you so have my sympathy :) xxxx

Brightness