Hi, my name is Andrewlinwood! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Andrewlinwood!

Options
Andrewlinwood
Andrewlinwood Community member Posts: 4 Listener
My 14 year old daughter has cerebral palsy. My wife and I would like to share views with other parents on this condition; especially at this crucial time in her life. She has mobility and speech problems but is otherwise a well-rounded young girl. However, we have noticed that her peers are developing socially at a faster rate and she is beginning to get left behind by her cohort. Any similar experiences and coping strategies would be welcome.

Comments

• Jgeek
    Jgeek Community member Posts: 66 Connected
    Options
    Hey, good to hear from you, I'm Jess, 27 with Cerebral Palsy I'm not a mum yet and I hope you get to speak to parents on here to get that viewpoint, but yes it was a hard time for me at that age, I had friends but always felt different if friends took any interested I latched on to that -trying almost too hard to be 'normal'. I fell in love with guys that would so much as look at me so yes quite socially naive, but it was me trying to get my own identity. I think its great to find other interest so she has a focus & topics to share with peers, perhaps music or films. Teenagers are shallow in groups but on a one to one basis they can be receptive if met half way. Later on disability matters less because whether its university or work you end up with like minded people who care more about your brain. Let me know if I can help in any way, I've had to deal with school, university & work so be happy to pass on advice :-)
  • Andrewlinwood
    Andrewlinwood Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for your comments Jess. It helps to hear from someone who has gone through a similar experience. We will keep in touch.
    Regards
    Andrew Linwood
  • JenniferU
    JenniferU Community member Posts: 108 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Andrewlinwood and welcome to the community! It looks like you could benefit a lot by talking to @LizA who seems to be going through similar issues with her teenage son. Hope you find the support you need!

Brightness