personal independant payment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

personal independant payment

pinkrock72
pinkrock72 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
hi ive been on dla n motobility for 9yrs i suffer from severe nerve damage to my left legs m lower stomache,i have spondilosis in my neck ,depression n anxiety disorder,ibs,on a lot of medication including morphine,pregablin iam due to have in dec a major surgery for a mytroffanoff procedure for my bladder to be able to drain out,iam very worried if i will get the pip like ive had dla iam going out of my mind with worry can anyone help plz x

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi pinkrock72,

There have been lots of stories about PIP in the media and you may have heard other people's experiences of the claim process. This can add to the anxiety of having to claim this new benefit.
    Firstly, has the DWP contacted you to invite to claim PIP?
    If they've not contacted you yet, sit tight and wait. All existing DLA claimants will be contacted by September 2017 and invited to claim PIP. Keep an eye out for any letters you receive from the DWP.
    The next thing to do is to find out as much about PIP as you can and start thinking about 'how your disability affects you'. Remember, PIP considers how your disability affects you rather than the condition/s itself.
    There is a PIP toolkit on the government website and you might find this useful to learn more about PIP and help you prepare. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-personal-independence-payment-toolkit-for-partners/the-personal-independence-payment-pip-toolkit

There's no such thing as providing too much information so when you do eventually get those forms, make sure you put as much detail into the form as possible. Gather as much evidence as you can to support your claim, but remember that if you aren't able to get the evidence you need, the DWP/Healthcare professional can and should request this evidence on your behalf.

It's still possible to get help with the form filling from local disability organisations and places like the Citizens Advice Bureau. It's not as easy now since the cuts to legal aid but hopefully you will be able to find some support with those forms if you need it.

It's not all doom and gloom though. Some claimants have gone through the process seamlessly and quickly and are happy with their PIP awards.

If there's anything else I can help with, let me know or contact me at the helpline.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • Jianne1274
    Jianne1274 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Been on dla indefinite award for 26 years both enhanced...got invited to apply for pip..and quite frankly I am terrified so many horror stories..I am quite literally making myself unwell...if I loose pip I does my carer lose thier carers allowance as well even though I get esa in the support group ???if I loose this money I dread to think how we will cope we will be destitute...do I loose my blue badge ..and free car tax as well..not that we will be able to run a car anyway ...would appreciate any advice anyone can give me...thank you in advance:( :(
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hi Jianne1274,

You're quite right that there are a number of horror stories going around about PIP. We certainly hear a fair few here at the helpline.
    How far along are you in the PIP claims process? You mention that you have been invited to apply for PIP and I just wonder how far along you are and if there's any information I can send you to help with the claims process or even find you some local support to help you through.

In order to qualify for Carers Allowance, the person you are caring for must be in receipt of PIP Daily Living Component so if you do not qualify for PIP daily living then yes, your carer will lose their entitlement to Carers Allowance.

If you don't not qualify for PIP mobility it is still possible to apply for a Blue Badge from your local authority. You will be required to undergo a mobility assessment or provide medical evidence of your walking difficulties but it's still possible to qualify even if you don't have PIP.

In order to claim the vehicle tax exemption you would need to be in receipt of Enhanced Rate Mobility PIP.
    You can claim a 50% reduction in vehicle tax if you qualify for the standard rate of mobility.

I hope this information is helpful. Try not to panic and please feel free to get in touch if you want to talk some more about this.

Best wishes
    Debbie

• WheelyRachel
    WheelyRachel Community member Posts: 64 Courageous
    I'm not looking forward to when I've get the transfer assessment to PIP as currently I've got DLA life time award. And 2 years ago my care component was lowered to middle rate with out being told or assest .
  • Robs
    Robs Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Hi l have been in receipt of Higher Rate DLA (both components) for 16 years. l recently received a letter advising that my DLA was to be stopped and was invited to claim PIP. l have an acquired Brain Injury (ABI) and find form filling extremely difficult.  l rang my local CAB and was told they were too busy to help. I sent an email to my local MP explaing my problems.  About 15 minutes later l got a phone call from his constituency office and his senior case worker offering to come to my house the following evening. She spent two hours with me, took all my medical details and documentation and took them back to the office for completion. 
    l haven't heard anything from the DWP yet and it's a very anxious time, but l would advise anyone with a similar problem to contact your MP's office and ask for help, you will find them quite accommodating.  Even the Conservative MP's.

Good luck and make a fuss.

Rob
  • Debbie_Alumni
    I'm not looking forward to when I've get the transfer assessment to PIP as currently I've got DLA life time award. And 2 years ago my care component was lowered to middle rate with out being told or assest .
    Hi WheelyRachel,

Lots of people are feeling the same. I've been speaking to a number of anxious people who are waiting for notification that their DLA is going to end. The best advice I can give to people in this situation is to find out as much about PIP as you can beforehand. If this is something you struggle with, there are some support services out there which can help explain things and even help with the form filling. PIP is a new benefit and it is very different from DLA. The form filling and evidence you provide is crucially important. You need to provide as much detailed information as you can to support your claim. There is no such thing as too much information. PIP doesn't look at your disability, it looks at 'how your disability affects you' and one thing to bear in mind too is that for each descriptor you have to be able to carry out that activity safely, reliably and in good time. These are very important factors.

There are quite a lot of resources on the internet and people are sharing their experiences and what they've done to get through the process. There are some very supportive Facebook groups around too. We have some information on our website and we link to other sources of help http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/money/pip 

You can also talk to us on the community or get in touch with me at the helpline.

If your transfer to PIP doesn't go well, get advice immediately and look to challenge the decision. Latest figures show that 61% of PIP decisions are getting overturned at tribunal. This equates to 3 people out of 5 winning their appeals.http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/thousands-disabled-claimants-wrongly-barred-7699359  

I hope this offers a little reassurance. 

Best wishes
    Debbie

• Debbie_Alumni
    Robs said:
    Hi l have been in receipt of Higher Rate DLA (both components) for 16 years. l recently received a letter advising that my DLA was to be stopped and was invited to claim PIP. l have an acquired Brain Injury (ABI) and find form filling extremely difficult.  l rang my local CAB and was told they were too busy to help. I sent an email to my local MP explaing my problems.  About 15 minutes later l got a phone call from his constituency office and his senior case worker offering to come to my house the following evening. She spent two hours with me, took all my medical details and documentation and took them back to the office for completion. 
    l haven't heard anything from the DWP yet and it's a very anxious time, but l would advise anyone with a similar problem to contact your MP's office and ask for help, you will find them quite accommodating.  Even the Conservative MP's.

Good luck and make a fuss.

Rob
    Hello Rob,

This is excellent advice! Thank you for sharing with us. Not many people realise that their local MP can help with the form filling. Even less people know that the DWP can send a visiting officer to help complete the forms, it's worth knowing this because there is such a lack of advice services available and the ones that remain are usually fully booked. I do know that a DWP visiting officer is probably not always going to be a popular choice for people but it is a safety net and should be used if the claimant is unable to complete the forms themselves. It's better to get some help than not filling in the forms at all and losing out.

I hope all goes well with your PIP transition Rob and if there's anything I can help with do get in touch. I'd love to hear how you get on.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • Robs
    Robs Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Hi Debbie

Yes people panic when they receive the dreaded letter advising them that their DLA will be ending and they need to apply for PIP. l think you have seen the letter l sent to my MP.

I truly object to having to claim PIP, when l have a condition that only detiorates as time goes bye.

However, there is little point in panicking,  but MPs have a duty of care to all constituents. My forms were sent back on Friday, by the case worker, so l hope to hear soon.

Debbie l will keep you informed. 

Regards Rob
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Thank you Rob, I look forward to hearing from you and thanks for sharing with us, it's very helpful.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • WheelyRachel
    Thanks for the advice Debbie and Rob. I will let you all know when I get that letter or form.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    I hope it goes smoothly for you WheelyRachel :)

I'm not sure if people are aware but, if when you get the forms you're not able to fill them in before the deadline, you can ring the DWP and ask for an extension. This can be helpful for people who need help filling the forms in but can't get an appointment with an advice agency in time.

Has anyone asked for and been refused an extension?

Have a great day
    Debbie
  • WheelyRachel
    Debbie that's good to know that they still have the help line .
  • Shaz63
    Shaz63 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Been on dla indefinite award for 26 years both enhanced...got invited to apply for pip..and quite frankly I am terrified so many horror stories..I am quite literally making myself unwell...if I loose pip I does my carer lose thier carers allowance as well even though I get esa in the support group ???if I loose this money I dread to think how we will cope we will be destitute...do I loose my blue badge ..and free car tax as well..not that we will be able to run a car anyway ...would appreciate any advice anyone can give me...thank you in advance:( :(
    Hi i was on high rate dla for an indefinate period but changed to pip and had to appeal but only got standard rate.i lost my car and am now home 24/7 as live out in the country side .i have arthritis in my legs and back,melerhistosis in my left leg,fibromyalgia,sleep apnea,depression,copd and diabetis and a bakers cis ,hernia,fatigue,brain fog.but the accessor was not a nice person,she had a timer set.she didnt listen to me,now im scared to do a new claim.These people dont know half of what we go through.x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.