PIP Assessment urgent help needed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Assessment urgent help needed

caz67
caz67 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have an apt tomorrow for my PIP assessment, it been made for 8.10am and ive got a nightmare journey to get to it in Birmingham very near to the centre of the city.
What I  am so worried about is what to take with me if anything, what to expect  at the assessment, ive read lots of other peoples experience's online, do I need to have letters from doctors as im stuck there my results of scans have always been given to me verbally. I also saw lots of comments regards a form called the S A R , subject access request??  does anyone have any help with these points we need , where do I find this information and what's what on how to get the points needed so that ill be allocated the rate which will allow for my Motability car, without this I might as well stop living now
regards Carol

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    Hey Caz67

woah what a nightmare appointment time!  I hope you get there okay.  Is anyone going with you?

The things I've heard people say is that the assessment doesn't start when you sit down in the room - it starts as you're approaching the car park.   I have heard stories about claimants being watched walking from a car to the front door and subsequently being denied mobility component.  I also saw something on facebook about a lift being labelled out of order so that claimants felt like it was either brave the stairs or miss the assessment (and risk losing their award).  Horrendous. 

If you can, having someone go with you to help and support you is often a comfort and useful to have a second set of ears and eyes on the assessment process. 

In terms of what to take with you, I guess follow the letter inviting you to assessment for guidance.  If I was in your shoes - I'd take any meds with me that I needed, ID, and aids that I might need.  And someone to hold all my stuff for me!

Personally, I've not heard of people bringing medical evidence to the assessments but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't happen...However as I understood it, they look at 3 sets of evidence when they are looking at a PIP claim.  
    1) the form you filled in.
    2) your medical evidence (sent in with form or requested by DWP from your doctor etc) and
     3) the report that the assessor writes having met you in person, and sends back to the DWP.  

Regarding the points - you need to look at the PIP descriptors! like right now!

You can get them online in most places, the CAB has a copy of them on their website but personally I really like the document that the National Autistic Society have put together - they explain things ever so clearly.  hopefully this link will work:

http://www.autism.org.uk/about/benefits-care/benefits/pip.aspx

(right hand side of the page - there's a bit that says "PIP: the points-based criteria".  CLick to download)

Basically, you need 8 points for standard rate and 12 points for enhanced rate - both for daily living and mobility.  In the PIP descriptors there are 10 questions or 'activities' around daily living, and 2 questions, or 'activities' for mobility.  

So if you are looking to keep your motability vehicle then you will need to score 12 points or more on the 2 questions about mobility - motability isn't available to those who only get standard rate mobility component of PIP. 

What the PIP descriptors don't really emphasise is the reliability test, and it's so important!   

You're only considered to be able to meet a descriptor if you can do it:

-safely (without risk of harm to yourself or others)

and 

-repeatedly (as often as required)

and

-to a good standard

and

-in a reasonable timeframe (not more than twice the time it takes someone without your condition or impairment)

Additionally, you need to be able to do the thing on more than 50% of days in a time period.  

So for example, if you might be able to cook a simple meal on monday, but that would knacker you for three days and you'd only be able to do it again on friday, then be knackered for another three days- then you're only cooking a simple meal 2 days in seven - that's less than 50% of the time so you aren't considered to be able to do it.

The assessment can be tricky - as humans I think we're somewhat conditioned to want to please, to affirm, to focus on the positives- to protect our pride.  So it can be quite odd to tell a stranger about your needs and limitations.  

A good tip is to instead of starting your answers with

'Yes, but...' -

say

'No, because...'.  

It puts you in the right frame of mind to explain why you might not meet a descriptor.

I hope that's useful.  I know it's a scary thing and I can understand why you might be a bit 'flappy' as my little one would say!  A PIP assessment in Birmingham is not how I'd choose to spend my  Thursday morning...  

all of that said - remember that there are plenty of people who sail through the PIP assessments without a problem - their stories rarely make the news or get shared on social media.   

Take it easy, breathe - and let us know how you get on.

-B xx

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Thanks Beth, that was a really good walk-through.
    Good luck for tomorrow Caz67, I hope it goes well . We'd love to hear how you get on :)
  • caz67
    caz67 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Morning Ive just got home from my assessment, i asked about a S A R, she didn't know what i was going on about , she even asked other asses in reception, but no one knew. Were they kidding me or do i ask elsewhere? My assessment was ok i did become very stressed as i do when going through these, she seemed genuine and wasn't nasty, my husband spoke up on a few questions as i forget and become confused, she didnt tell him too shut up or ignore him, st least thats how it seemed.Long wait now she said result could be 4 to 8 weeks?? I used the link thanks, if im marked as I believe I should be then I should be ok with the pints required. cheers for that.
    regards
    Carol
  • [Deleted User]
    Hey Caz,

yeah I was a bit confused by you talking about SARs -  I wouldn't worry about it for now to be honest.  I'm sure if it was a critical part of the process they would have said something about it.  TBH I thought that a subject access request was what you submitted if you  wanted to know what the DWP knew about you (bit like a freedom of information request but about yourself).  

It's good that the Assessor was nice and let your husband support you.  Yeah sometimes people can be waiting a long time but sometimes also it can be reasonably quick.  

I hope you get the results you're looking for, but if you get bad news, don't lose hope - there's a two stage appeals process and you can get help from advice services to go through the motions at each step.

take care

-B x

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Well done caz67, you got through it!

Thanks again B- Yes a SAR is what you have described it as. The right of subject access means that you can make a request under the Data Protection Act to any organisation holding your personal information.

Let us know how you get on and if you need any further information, feel free to get in touch :)

Have a nice evening

Debbie
  • [Deleted User]
    Hey Caz,

Just wondering - have you heard back yet about your award?

Hope you are well :)

-B xxx
  • raedodkinsrudge
    raedodkinsrudge Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    My appt  in Birmingham is 8.10 as well but fortunately that is where my office is.
    I have to travel from Walsall.
    I am so worried that if they take away my car I will have to give up work.
    Rx
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @raedodkinsrudge

You are allowed to change your appointment once, to a more reasonable time.

If you aren't awarded enhanced mobility there is always the option to appeal and I understand that appellants can now keep their cars pending the outcome of their appeal.  Around 65% of appeals are successful.

There is a thread on they site about preparation for assessments.  Search under 'Support and information'.

Good luck with the assessment :).
  • dix4
    dix4 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi..I applied for PIP just over 5 mths ago..should have been resolved by start of June..in mid June I found out that I need a home assessment and there aren't enough people in the area to do them..so I must wait to hear. At the end of this month I will be 63..I think that is my retirement date..but have had no info..woeld this affect my PIP claim? One of my problems is deafness..so I had to give up looking for answers by telephone. I am very stressed..insecure..cannot work..OR make ends meet
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2017
    @dix4

Sorry you are feeling so down. Why do you have to have a home assessment, because you would get an appointment earlier at an assessment centre?

You can apply for PIP for the first time up until the day before your 65th birthday. And you can receive pensions as well as PIP.  PIP is not means tested.

Scope has a guide to PIP - search under 'Support and info'.  And Disability Rights has a good guide to PIP, too.  Also, you could post in 'Ask a benefits advisor' category for expert advice.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.