Are you aware of the benefits you're entitled to? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you aware of the benefits you're entitled to?

Debbie_Alumni
Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
Did you know that almost half (48%) of low income households are not claiming the welfare benefits and tax credits they could be entitled to? This is despite the fact that a huge 87% of this group have seen no improvement to their financial situation over the last year. 

We’re supporting the Turn 2 Us #BenefitsAware campaign. Find out what support you’re entitled to today with their benefits calculator: http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/check-benefits  

Or maybe I can help. Do you need any financial advice about how to handle the extra costs of disability? I can help you with benefits queries, advice on where to go for grants, and point you to places in your local area that could help or give you a better deal. 

Comments

• JoGriffiths
    JoGriffiths Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi Debbie,

Could you let me know when you are free for me to maybe give you a call to discuss benefits for my son to claim himself. I am not sure if this is a confidential message or it can be seen on the net.

Many thanks
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hello Jo,

I'm in the office today so try the helpline number and ask for me. You can also send an email to helpline@scope.org.uk with your number and I can arrange to call you if that would be helpful?

Look forward to speaking to you soon

Debbie
  • fearthebassplayer
    fearthebassplayer Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Hi Debbie

Would value a conversation with you about finances - finding it very difficult as a family with finances and have also discovered that its not easy to know what is out there, so would need to start general and set a background to then be able to move on and talk about what support there could be. Does that sound possible?

Thanks

Nathan

• celtic1888
    celtic1888 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I'm on ESA,work based if u can believe it, and DLA. I have a motability car,so that comes off. I get more on ESA coz I'm living alone,but have been told I'll loose it if I get carer I desperately need. Just wondering if that's all I can claim. Many thanks Graeme 
  • Squigg
    Squigg Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    What does DLA indefinitely mean just the fact that pip will soon be taking over and would that affect DLA for life?? 
  • celtic1888
    Yes it's eventually going to replace DLA. Many have lost Motability cars when changed to pip
  • Debbie_Alumni

Hi Debbie

Would value a conversation with you about finances - finding it very difficult as a family with finances and have also discovered that its not easy to know what is out there, so would need to start general and set a background to then be able to move on and talk about what support there could be. Does that sound possible?

Thanks

Nathan

Hi Nathan

I would be more than happy to talk to you about your finances. You're right, it's not easy to know what help is out there. If you would prefer to talk in a private setting then drop me an email helpline@scope.org.uk or give me a call 0808 800 3333. Our phones are really busy so it might be a bit difficult to get through but do send an email or continue on this thread, whatever suits you best.

Hope to speak with you soon
    Debbie
  • fearthebassplayer

Hi Debbie

Thanks

Nathan

Hi Nathan

I would be more than happy to talk to you about your finances. You're right, it's not easy to know what help is out there. If you would prefer to talk in a private setting then drop me an email helpline@scope.org.uk or give me a call 0808 800 3333. Our phones are really busy so it might be a bit difficult to get through but do send an email or continue on this thread, whatever suits you best.

Debbie

Thanks Debbie think I will try and call - I'm guessing that I will be able to be transferred through to you?

• Debbie_Alumni

I'm on ESA,work based if u can believe it, and DLA. I have a motability car,so that comes off. I get more on ESA coz I'm living alone,but have been told I'll loose it if I get carer I desperately need. Just wondering if that's all I can claim. Many thanks Graeme 

Hi Graeme,

It sounds as though you're receiving the Severe Disability Premium in your ESA. This
     premium is an extra payment paid with means-tested benefits to help towards the extra costs that are associated with disability. It's awarded to people who receive a qualifying benefit such as:

• Attendance Allowance (or Constant Attendance Allowance paid with Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefits or War Pension)
    • Disability Living Allowance care component at the middle or highest rate
    • Personal Independence Payment daily living component
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment
    In addition to being in receipt of a qualifying benefit, no one must be getting Carers Allowance for you and you must be living alone and have no non dependents aged 18 or over living with you for example, an adult child or parent, unless they are in receipt of a qualifying benefit or are registered blind.

The SDP is worth £61.85 a week for a single person and should automatically be added to your benefits but in some circumstances this doesn't always happen and a claimant may need to fill in a form to apply for it.
    More information about the Severe Disability Premium and how to qualify if you are part of a couple can be found at https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Severe-Disability-Premium/What-is-a-Severe-Disability-Premium.aspx

The care that you are currently receiving Graeme, is it provided by Adult Social Care or do you employ your carer yourself? It would still be possible to keep the SDP if you are living alone and no-one is claiming Carers Allowance for you.

It might be worth having a chat about your position in the WRAG and whether you would qualify for the Support Group in ESA. Drop me an email at the helpline if you would like me to look at this in more depth for you.

I hope this has been helpful.

Best wishes
    Debbie

• Debbie_Alumni

Hi Debbie

Thanks

Nathan

Hi Nathan

Debbie

Thanks Debbie think I will try and call - I'm guessing that I will be able to be transferred through to you?

Yes you can be transferred to me, if I'm not already on a call. If that happens, leave your number and I will call you back :)
  • Joan_S777
    Joan_S777 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Did you know that almost half (48%) of low income households are not claiming the welfare benefits and tax credits they could be entitled to? This is despite the fact that a huge 87% of this group have seen no improvement to their financial situation over the last year. 

We’re supporting the Turn 2 Us #BenefitsAware campaign. Find out what support you’re entitled to today with their benefits calculator: http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/check-benefits  

Or maybe I can help. Do you need any financial advice about how to handle the extra costs of disability? I can help you with benefits queries, advice on where to go for grants, and point you to places in your local area that could help or give you a better deal. 

• celtic1888
    Hi Debbie. I'm no getting any care support, but have a mate who comes to help if I have an appointment as I'm now in a wheelchair.  No-one is claiming carers allowance for me. I'm getting the SDP but was led to believe I'd loose it if someone started to claim. 
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Squigg said:
    What does DLA indefinitely mean just the fact that pip will soon be taking over and would that affect DLA for life?? 
    Yes it's eventually going to replace DLA. Many have lost Motability cars when changed to pip
    Hi Squigg,

Graeme has correctly pointed out that PIP is replacing DLA. More information about this is available here https://www.gov.uk/dla-ending

Existing DLA claimants are expected to be contacted by September 2017 and invited to claim PIP. This includes DLA claimants in receipt of lifetime and indefinite awards.

Please do keep an eye out for communications from the DWP about PIP. The deadlines for making a claim for PIP are quite tight and many people have fallen foul of these deadlines and have lost their DLA and have not qualified for PIP because they did not respond in time. We're also hearing reports of the letters not being received due to software issues within the PIP claim which have led to letters not being generated. However, if you do miss the deadline, you are entitled to request a Mandatory Reconsideration of this decision and take the normal appeals route. There is a lot of mis-information about this and claimants have often been told that there are no appeal rights if you miss the deadline. If any one gets caught out with this, get in touch and let us know!
    Graeme you're right about people losing their Motability Vehicles but often people don't realise the other impacts the loss of DLA or PIP can have on other benefits such as extra premiums in means tested benefits. It can be quite a lengthy list of things lost so please do be aware.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hi Debbie. I'm no getting any care support, but have a mate who comes to help if I have an appointment as I'm now in a wheelchair.  No-one is claiming carers allowance for me. I'm getting the SDP but was led to believe I'd loose it if someone started to claim. 
    Hi Graeme,

You will lose the SDP if someone starts claiming Carers Allowance for caring for you but as things stand and with your current arrangement, there's no reason why it wouldn't continue. Your friend is not moving in with you or anything like that are they?
  • Joan_S777
    Joan_S777 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited May 2016
    A very pleasant day to you Debbie, my name is Evangelist Joan. I am a woman with disabilities, I just receive the form to continue my PIP, taking it to the Star Organisation to help me fill it. Because I need a vehicle, through the motability I will achieve one, but the PIP benefit will pay for it. I am also on the ESA, that is what I will leave with to live on, which is £373, & after the Carer's payment of £131 deducted, I will only be leave with £242 to pay bills & to serve me for two weeks. I have to pay gas £25, electric £20, water £10.20, TV license £13, £50 to pay out, month ends: insurance £28, Sky £21.50, Utility Warehouse internet package with landline £42.50, £23 to pay out. All this comes to £233.20 taken from £242 only balance £8.80 for another two weeks. Please Miss Debbie is there any other benefits that I can claim? I am not eating properly, have a hole in my heart & the doctor said I must try not to stay hungry, but it's not staying hungry, it's not having what to eat. Please help me, I thank you very much for taking your time to read my email, God bless you.
  • celtic1888
    Debbie.  No No he's not moving in. Iv just finished monivg into a one bedroom bungalow. I have been thinking of trying to get top rate for care component as still on middle but don't want to draw attention to maself and get put on pip. I appealed about ESA but was deemed fit for work but it's abundantly clear I'm not
  • fearthebassplayer
    Joan_S777 said:
    A very pleasant day to you Debbie, my name is Evangelist Joan Shurland, of 33 Bluegates Road, Beaumont Leys, Leicester LE4 1AF. I am a woman with disabilities, I just receive the form to continue my PIP, taking it to the Star Organisation to help me fill it. Because I need a vehicle, through the motability I will achieve one, but the PIP benefit will pay for it. I am also on the ESA, that is what I will leave with to live on, which is £373, & after the Carer's payment of £131 deducted, I will only be leave with £242 to pay bills & to serve me for two weeks. I have to pay gas £25, electric £20, water £10.20, TV license £13, £50 to pay out, month ends: insurance £28, Sky £21.50, Utility Warehouse internet package with landline £42.50, £23 to pay out. All this comes to £233.20 taken from £242 only balance £8.80 for another two weeks. Please Miss Debbie is there any other benefits that I can claim? I am not eating properly, have a hole in my heart & the doctor said I must try not to stay hungry, but it's not staying hungry, it's not having what to eat. Please help me, I thank you very much for taking your time to read my email, God bless you.

Joan I am sure that you could save some money on your phone line rental and Broadband - Sky are offer 12 months free broadband and possibly some reduction on phone line rental too. Are you able to talk to Sky themselves, or do you have anyone who could do this for you?
  • craftyinsomniac
    craftyinsomniac Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hello, would it be ok for me to email you at some time in the future as I'm really not up to it today having had a couple of problems!!!!  Would appreciate some advice about a couple of things as struggling as I currently live at home with my parents still!!
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Joan_S777 said:
    A very pleasant day to you Debbie, my name is Evangelist Joan. I am a woman with disabilities, I just receive the form to continue my PIP, taking it to the Star Organisation to help me fill it. Because I need a vehicle, through the motability I will achieve one, but the PIP benefit will pay for it. I am also on the ESA, that is what I will leave with to live on, which is £373, & after the Carer's payment of £131 deducted, I will only be leave with £242 to pay bills & to serve me for two weeks. I have to pay gas £25, electric £20, water £10.20, TV license £13, £50 to pay out, month ends: insurance £28, Sky £21.50, Utility Warehouse internet package with landline £42.50, £23 to pay out. All this comes to £233.20 taken from £242 only balance £8.80 for another two weeks. Please Miss Debbie is there any other benefits that I can claim? I am not eating properly, have a hole in my heart & the doctor said I must try not to stay hungry, but it's not staying hungry, it's not having what to eat. Please help me, I thank you very much for taking your time to read my email, God bless you.
    Hello Joan,

A very pleasant day to you too :) 
    I need to get some detailed information from you about your income. I need to know what level of PIP you are currently receiving and a breakdown of your ESA award. Are you on income related ESA or contributory ESA? If you could also tell me who your gas, electric and water suppliers are I can check to see if they offer any lower tariffs for households on low incomes.
    We can certainly look into things in a bit more depth and it might be a good idea to drop me a line at the helpline with the information I've requested. 
    Also Nathan has made a very valid point about shopping around for cheaper deals on your Sky package and your internet and phone packages (unless you're in a contract). There are some great bargains to be had and this extends to insurance policies too. You've not mentioned your housing costs so I can't establish if you're renting your home or if you own it and whether these costs are affordable.
    Do you live alone or do you have a partner and/or children living with you?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Have a nice day
    Debbie
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hello, would it be ok for me to email you at some time in the future as I'm really not up to it today having had a couple of problems!!!!  Would appreciate some advice about a couple of things as struggling as I currently live at home with my parents still!!
    Hi there,

Of course you can email me any time! :) I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes
    Debbie

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.