friendships — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

friendships

Options
kenny
kenny Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
How do other disabled people make friendships, do they find it easy?

Comments

• Annabelandalex09
    Annabelandalex09 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    I found it easy when I was in my 20's but as iv got older I found it difficult.  Do you have difficulty making friendships?  
  • kenny
    kenny Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Options
    Proper friendships, that non disabled have, do not seem to happen. I have lots of people I know, but people move on and disabled people do not move on in the same way.I feel left behind sometimes
  • basiclee08
    basiclee08 Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    I found it OK What I have done is joined groups at my local leisure centre were I can do things and after have coffee and chat with classmates and made some good friends. I found if people see you taking first step they don't look at me as disabled just one of the group. 
  • Dorrit
    Dorrit Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I have developed 'invisible' disability a disease of the brain and any friends I did have, trailed away as when I did not go out Drinking' anymore I was deemed stand offish, new able people also do not see the restrictions I have.
    Are there any social groups online or meets. Also does anyone know of transport options as buses and standard taxis difficult. We may be disabled but we are capable of being sociable.

Brightness