Weak adductors (affecting the hip and thigh) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Weak adductors (affecting the hip and thigh)

Options
liayn85
liayn85 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
Anyone else living with weak adductors? 

I have mild spastic hemiplegia on the entire right side of my body. For the past few years, due to overuse, I have had weakness, limited movement, and neuropathy (which for up to a few hours a day felt like there were insects crawling over and under my hip and groin area - sometimes crippling) in my thigh and groin area. Obviously as with everything with CP, this is exascerbated by other symptoms and impairments and also makes other symptoms and impairments worse. And then once the muscles are affected it affects tendons, fascia, bones, etc. I am looking to undo all that as much as I can. 

My new-ish physical therapist has pinpointed it to the adductors, particularly the adductor longus. 
I have done stretches and exercises since my appointment with him last Friday and already things have changed.

I am hoping the pain and discomfort and damage done is not permanent and this can be strengthened and loosened. Maybe the neuropathy will disappear finally. I am also making other lifestyle changes to help it, such as not wearing skinny jeans and walking much more and not sitting down for lengthy periods. Anyone have any luck? 

Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• JenniferU
    JenniferU Community member Posts: 108 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @liayn85 - sorry you've not had any replies yet. 

@Noah or @htlcy I wonder if this is anything you know about? 
  • htlcy
    htlcy Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi there @liayn85! I actually have mild spastic right sided hemi too. I haven't however had the issues you have described, but when I've seen physios etc they're always hopeful that improvements can be made despite current issues. All the steps you're taking can only be positive! I try and keep as active as possible, and since taking baclofen I'm in a lot less pain and can cycle, walk etc. I do get very tired but I think it helps. Do let us know how you get on, maybe @Noah might have some more useful things to say! 
    Heather 
  • liayn85
    Options
    Thank you, Jennifer, for tagging others!
  • liayn85
    Options
    Thank you, Heather @htlcy. I am very active as I am walking a lot, however, I think ten years without PT/OT or any professional attention has taken a toll. I am hoping to undo all that. Already, working on my adductors has made a huge change, and all this time I thought it was my hip/IT band with the problem when it has mostly been the thigh compartment. I have always found that making these changes definitely confuses my body, especially bringing out left-side over-compensation, and now I am dealing with some problems with that. 
    I am going to keep up the PT. Sometimes just walking gets so overwhelming! I am hoping the neuropathy will go away. I have read that an adductor injury takes 2-6 weeks to heal, which for me might mean up to 3 months, but I will be grateful if it heals completely. 

I am glad you are active and getting the treatment that you need! 
    Best of luck and continued CP badassery to you!
  • PeteFletch
    PeteFletch Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hey Liayn, how's it going? I have spastic diplegia and had an adductor injury about 2 years ago, though your mind races with the "will if ever be the same", mine healed fully within 12 weeks allowing me to get back to "normal"
  • liayn85
    Options
    @PeteFletch
    Pete! Thank you so much! I am sorry to hear that this happened to you, but I am so glad that I am not alone and that it healed. Thank you so much for your response!

As for me - I am still getting the neuropathy, and I have stopped doing the exercises every single day because I am getting super tired and overcompensating on my left side due to the confusion with the change. But I am getting better and better and I can actually FEEL the increased use with activity. I am hoping the neuropathy will get knocked out. I am expecting about the same time, 12 weeks, for it to heal completely if indeed it does. 

Brightness