DWP interview stopping benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP interview stopping benefits

Eddie
Eddie Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello.Seeking some type of guidance.I had to move recently was in private rented accommodation.The DWP decided to stop my premium disability payment without telling me.I informed them i moved on the day.They now want to interview me  to review my benefit claim.I placed my new place on the basis of the income i had coming in.Lost around £240 per month and the landlord wants paid.Applied for rent rebate help.However i rang local DWP office they would not tell me anything about the interview although the form states it is a meeting.
Like many here i have difficulties lived homeless through a winter as i could not get help 8 weeks after a triple bypass op....no council would help....had to go private then they sold and moved.I am worried the DWP is now going to remove more benefit....find it difficult to communicate with them because of my illness...any suggestions please.Anyone had similar interview.Thanks

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi Eddie,

I'd like to offer some assistance with your query but I need some more information from you. I'm a bit confused about the premium disability payment you mention. Could it be the Severe Disability Premium? Hopefully I can help you work out what has happened with your benefits and look at getting things sorted out.

Is the meeting with the DWP going to happen at home or do you have to attend your local Jobcentre or another office for this?

If you don't feel comfortable talking about it in public, send me an email to the helpline and I'll look into it for you.

Kind regards
    Debbie
  • CMD
    CMD Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Hi

I'm new to this but would like to ask my 1st question.

My mother in law has limited mobility suffer badly with diverticulitis and ulcerated colon and is prone to foetal accidents also she is deaf and they can do nothing else to help her with her hearing, she has had the mobility and falls team in after she had a few falls and has balance issues. We have to take her everywhere as she needs to be with someone when out. She does live alone and we go in 4 times a week and phone her every lunch time and evening, we do her shopping/doctors/hospital/hear clinic appointments visits when sometimes both of us have the day off as my partner can then drop us close as he can to entrance of visit and then goes off and park) to hairdresser/taking her out for coffee just to get her out. (We are both full time employed) I have asked her doctor about a blue badge or disabled badge when I did this he asked her where do you have your hair done she said the hairdressers he said well she is not disabled or house bound then is she, I tried to explain this is not something she could do on her own.

So what I would like to know is who can have a blue badge?

Regards

Carmel Dacre

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hello Carmel,

Thanks for posting your question.

The following guide available on the government website should provide you with a better understanding of who can qualify for a Blue Badge. 
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/197719/can-i-get-a-blue-badge.pdf

You need to contact your local authority and apply for a Blue Badge directly from them. You can find details of the scheme and apply online in the following link https://www.gov.uk/blue-badge-scheme-information-council

If you have any further questions after reading the information in the above links, do get in touch again.

Best wishes
    Debbie

• liebestraum
    liebestraum Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited May 2018

Hi

I am a disabled student. Last year(JUNE'17) my local jobcentre  gave me the all clear to do my degree and not have my benefits affected. They also said that in my forthcoming august 2017 DWP assessment all the issues with mobility would be dealt with and they weren't.

I have recently received an interview request  and the DWP are saying that I might have to pay back money. I am struggling to do well in my degree and now realise that I was mis-informed by the staff member at my local job centre and dis-regarded with regards to claiming mobility allowance.. This has left me feeling so anxious and dis-empowered and together with a major armed police raid on my estate (where I was nearly shot by police for no reason other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time!!) I feel very un-settled and have had to look for a different place to live. I am hardly able to walk...have a house move imminently....my degree progress is affected and I really need someone to talk in person with as these issues above are the tip of the iceberg. As a disabled person I do feel that I have been taken advantage of repeatedly and am so fearful of the DWP's attitude in my upcoming interview that it's causing anxiety beyond what I have previously experienced.

I really need someone to help me, as coping with life in the pain that I am in is becoming intolerable.

Many thanks,

Mr Joseph Fuller

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018

Hi

I am a disabled student. Last year(JUNE'17) my local jobcentre  gave me the all clear to do my degree and not have my benefits affected. They also said that in my forthcoming august 2017 DWP assessment all the issues with mobility would be dealt with and they weren't.

I have recently received an interview request  and the DWP are saying that I might have to pay back money. I am struggling to do well in my degree and now realise that I was mis-informed by the staff member at my local job centre and dis-regarded with regards to claiming mobility allowance.. This has left me feeling so anxious and dis-empowered and together with a major armed police raid on my estate (where I was nearly shot by police for no reason other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time!!) I feel very un-settled and have had to look for a different place to live. I am hardly able to walk...have a house move imminently....my degree progress is affected and I really need someone to talk in person with as these issues above are the tip of the iceberg. As a disabled person I do feel that I have been taken advantage of repeatedly and am so fearful of the DWP's attitude in my upcoming interview that it's causing anxiety beyond what I have previously experienced.

I really need someone to help me, as coping with life in the pain that I am in is becoming intolerable.

Many thanks,

Mr Joseph Fuller

Please edit your post and remove you phone number. A public forum is not the place to put your personal phone number. I have reported the post because of this issue.

As for your question, i'd advise you to visit your local CAB for further help and advice. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.