Abnormally strong bladder — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Abnormally strong bladder

liayn85
liayn85 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
edited June 2016 in Cerebral palsy
It was recently brought to my attention by a friend during a vacation that I was rarely going to the bathroom, yet drinking a lot of liquids. I do not feel the need to go to the bathroom unless I really have to go and my bladder is very full. I easily get dehydrated, which I attribute to my spastic muscles, and so i drink maybe 70+ ounces of water throughout the day.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I am now a little concerned that maybe I am unknowingly harming my bladder due to any sensation or contraction that I may not be feeling. I have done some research online, and I only see the opposite, incontinence, as a condition associated with CP. I can spend the day out without using the bathroom, while all my female friends are going to the bathroom 2 or 3 times in that timeframe.

I have mild spastic hemiplegia. Also, I have always thought that because I learned to go to the toilet when I was one but didn't learn to walk until I was about 4, maybe because I had to wait for someone to take me for 3 years of my life I developed this strong bladder.

Comments

• YoungCarerOverHere
    YoungCarerOverHere Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    It sounds like you have quite the hypothesis of your own there! I have no experience in this area but I suggest, even if there are no negative health effects visible to you now, that you speak to a professional if possible. Just to be on the safe side and put your mind at ease?
  • liayn85
    liayn85 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Yeah I'll see a doctor when I am able. I'm interested in getting feedback from other CP sufferers in case this is happening to anyone else.
    After a lifetime of symptoms and conditions and syndromes and 21 years of PT and OT, plus a heightened need to know how my body is stressed etc., I'd say I'm pretty good at hypothesizing lol.

Brightness