Static Shocks and Electric Wheelchairs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Static Shocks and Electric Wheelchairs

Options
Geo08
Geo08 Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
So I've recently moved to Leeds as I have a couple of legal internships but unfortunately the flooring around some of the building generates a horrendous amount of static electricity. The jobs I'm taking on are legal internships so I imagine there may be alot of shaking hands and I don't really want to go around shocking people!

I normally attempt to ground myself before touching anything metal but once again I don't really fancy getting any funny looks. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about how I could prevent this from happening? I was thinking of attaching some wire to my wheelchair and allowing it to trail along the floor providing a permanent grounds however this isn't the most elegant solution...

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
George

Comments

• Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Options
    Ouch! I find I get loads of static shocks when we are at The Trafford Centre and have never really worked out why. Fortunately they all seem to come out via my hands and my little girl using her wheelchair isn't affected as she doesn't usually grab things yet. 

I'm sure they used to have things on cars a long time ago that hung down and there are still some on Amazon that you could maybe try? (Tried to copy a link but it was huge)

Or, you could always copy some of the lads who drive round here in daft cars who have small stuffed animals hanging from their bumper! Might not be the most professional first impression though but slightly better than zapping everyone  :D
  • Geo08
    Geo08 Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Options
    @Blue Frog

Amazing! Worked instantly. Much obliged.
  • djbsuffolk
    djbsuffolk Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    People often think that friction causes static electricity - this isn't the case - static is caused when two charged materials come into contact, electrons may move across from one material to the other leaving an unbalanced charge. Vinyl or plastic flooring can cause this, also rooms that are air conditioned or a dry atmosphere. I would imagine in an office environment the charge will be coming from the floors or because of a dry atmosphere over which you have very little control. An additional approach is to ensure the tyres of you chair are not excessively pumped up allowing a fair bit of tread to contact the floor - the more surface area in contact between your chair and the floor the less the imbalance in the charge will be and subsequently the static build up.
  • buffalo
    buffalo Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Options
    and I thought it was just me - that lift buttons come with an extra bite!!!

Brightness