Disability education — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability education

milo
milo Community member Posts: 129 Pioneering
Recently I had a spectacular fall from my wheelchair and fractured my wrist. While trying to get back up a number of cars went past without helping. Initially I had an number of uncharitable thoughts about those who drove by but then I realised a lot of people are hesitant to help as they don't know how to relate to disability.

With that in mind, I'd like to see more disability awareness taught in schools. I for one would be delighted to talk about living with CP and the challenges I face daily. My stepdaughter recently spent a few days in my spare chair fundraising for a local charity and she was appalled at the difficulties I face.

My question is,  do Scope run such a scheme or does anyone know of any other bodies doing such work in schools or community groups? 

Comments

• JenniferU
    JenniferU Community member Posts: 108 Pioneering
    Hi @Milo,

Funny you should mention this, because yes, Scope DO offer this! We've just launched a new programme called Scope Role Models, where our campaigns team go into schools and give disability awareness sessions, alongside a disabled role model. The sessions are mainly centred around our #EndTheAwkward campaign: 
    http://www.scope.org.uk/awkward

@lauon90 can tell you much more about it. :)

Best wishes
    Jen

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.