Design for Disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Design for Disability

jessicaryanndegwa
jessicaryanndegwa Community member Posts: 5 Listener

Hello, my name is Jessica and I am looking for disabled users that are interested in joining me in developing a collaborative hub that focuses on the re-designing of product aids (medical and non-medical aids) that are designed for a disabled market that you perceive as unattractive.

Would love to hear any open views on this! Would love to hear from you!
Thanks

Comments

• Geo08
    Geo08 Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Hi @jessicaryanndegwa,

My name is George Russell and design of disability products and what future products to help with disability would look like is something I often think about. If you would like any help with anything please get in touch!

Thanks,
    George
  • jessicaryanndegwa
    Hi @Geo08

I would love the help, are their any particular  products you know of that you don't like? If so, please could you send me examples!

Jessica  
  • milo
    milo Community member Posts: 129 Pioneering
    Hi @jessicaryanndegwa . There are so many examples of equipment and devices that would benefit from a redesign that it is difficult to know where to begin. Personally I dislike the fact that so much equipment for use at home has a hospital/utilitarian look to it, also that disability seems to equate to elderly in the mind of so many designers. Sounds like you may be on to something, would love to hear more.
  • MSmum99
    MSmum99 Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    Yes Jessica, would be interested, trying to collect examples of well designed good looking eq on piinterest but very lIttle about.  Actually like design of my quickie Salsa Wheelchair, but when needed stairlift took a long time to find one not in clinical beige!

• Geo08
    I agree everything often looks very utilitarian in its design when it is made for disabled people. For example, I have a freeway t40 (i think) shower chair which comes in a single shade of grey. 

I personally see design for disabled products becoming much different in the coming years. For example this: http://www.robotdalen.se/en/article/en-poseidon-intelligent-shower-solution?language=en
  • jessicaryanndegwa
    Thanks Geo08 for the example.

Hi Milo, I know. When I started this I looked at objects on the smaller side like button hook aids and zip pull aids, I am not yet at a stage of redesigning objects on the larger scale yet. It would be good to begin to just start building a network of people who are interested in exploring more of this area and by working together hopefully we can explore different products and build a group that we can start from, if this makes sense!?
  • milo
    Hi @jessicaryanndegwa that makes perfect sense and it's something I'd like to be involved in if I can be of any help 
  • Geo08
    I'm happy to help in any way I can. My personal dream is to have technology that can deal with personal care to allow me to be far more (if not completely) independant.

Might be a tad outside of your current scope Jessica, but I'm happy to give input on anything in the meantime :wink:

Cheers,
    George
  • jessicaryanndegwa
    Great to hear! Do you maybe want to give me your number so we can keep in contact? 
  • milo
    Hi @jessicaryanndegwa not sure who that last message was for? I don't want to put my number on here but find me on Twitter as Andy_Cheape or FB as Andy Cheape 
  • jessicaryanndegwa
    Hi Milo, sorry that was for you. That's cool I'll find you on Facebook. Thanks. 

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.