Mobility — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobility

Options
Philip
Philip Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
Being physically and mentally disabled I have trouble getting out & about, I have steps from my house to the path, I tend to fall up/down these, also all I use are elbow crutches which cause a lot off pain in my arms, shoulders etc. I can't afford to buy a  small mobility scooter or have a ramp installed for access. On the occasion I go out with my wife I end up in a lot of pain for days afterwards, any ideas & help would be welcome 

Comments

• Ten
    Ten Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options

Hi

If you have not  contacted yet  your local authority/ occupational therapist then it may be worth to contact them as he/ she can carry out an assessment for ramp.

In regards to mobility scooter  you can contact your GP or  physiotherapist, they may provide you some information how to get it. There are some funding charities who may also support with the funding for mobility scooter.

With best wishes

Ten

• buffalo
    buffalo Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Options
    is the path long enough to get a load of concrete for ramping?  this is a cost effective way of making a permanent ramp.  you need one guy to smoooth out a load of ready delivered concrete.
  • MSmum99
    MSmum99 Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    Options
    I would ask dr or social services for a full OT assessment - may suggest other things you hadn't thought of - i have had hand-rail, perch stools, etc through this route. Depends on LA but should be free.
  • unluckyglo
    unluckyglo Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    I have over the years had several scooters from EBay very cheap and good. Plus a local supermarket might support you. Good luck
  • Geo08
    Geo08 Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @Philip,

Just wanted to add my thoughts to this thread as we bought a wheelchair off of eBay a few years ago and it worked fine. Alot of the time people buy these things and then the users go into homes ect. meaning people often just want to get rid of them so they go at a lower price. I'd always check that its working before you make a purchase (although on eBay you get buyer protection).

In terms of accessing your property, as mentioned above, I would have a chat with your local authority to have them come and have a look and see what can be done. My local authority came and installed a little ramp to the step of my house a few years ago when I needed to start using my wheelchair more often. It may also be worth telling your GP about your struggles as a letter from them could help expedite the process for you.

You may also be able to get referred for a wheelchair assessment if you cannot walk very well at all, in which case the NHS may provide you with a chair. The difficulty with this method is there are very long waiting lists so you're unlikely to get anything quickly.

I hope this helps,

Thanks,
    George 

Brightness