Local Activity — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Local Activity

Options
Shaun Jennings
Shaun Jennings Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited August 2016 in Research and opportunities
Are there any plans for Scope to develop local activities for disabled people? In the early years after the name change I was heavily involved in what was then called Partnership Committees and Executive Working Groups.  I was on both groups for the South West region.  I found that this involvement really helped me overcome my personal health difficulties and my barriers to a useful purpose in life.  I am finding now that since the Government has cut so much funding to the voluntary sector both Scope and Shine, who work with people with Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus are struggling to actually meet the needs of their service users due to the cuts in service provision and the over reliance on internet based acivities, which I find does not help my emotional and psychological welfare as much as getting out and meeting others does. Trouble is I am finding I am knocking against brick walls when I put this to the relevant charities.  These are not the only charities affected by the way.  Does anyone else feel affected in the same way?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    Options
    Hi Shaun,

I've not had personal experience of the issues you're facing, but I read your post and wondered....whether you have ever had a care needs assessment with your local authority?  

Being able to access your community, maintain friendships and relationships, and the opportunity to work/study/volunteer - are all outcomes that the care act is designed to help you meet, if you need support to do these things.
    Full list of the eligibility criteria here.  (gov.uk legislation link)

If you talk to the adult services team at your local authority, there may be an opportunity to get some help so that you can do the things you want to do - get out and about, and meet others.

It's no secret that the third sector are having to get more creative about how they provide the services they deliver and online resources are a good way to reach lots of people (often those who can't get out and about) in a cost efficient way. However, what you're describing is provided for as part of statutory provision (ie in law, under the care act, with government funding)

If charities do deliver services,  it will either be as a provider (and they will be paid, normally by the LA from the adult services budget, to do so) or it will be a service that is non-statutory - a service that is designed to compliment, not supplement, what the statutory provision is.  

(The reason for this is that people donate to charities; and normally, they don't want the money they donate to charity to be spent on stuff that they already pay in taxes for the government to sort out for anyway!) 

Examples of a charity providing a paid-for service: Scope does lots for adults to access their community - a kind of 'by-the-hour PA service' - example here.

Example of a charity providing a complimentary service: Scope facilitates emotional support to parents of disabled children - example here

so anyway, what you're describing you're looking for should be covered under the care act outcomes - I'd explore this with your local authority in the first instance :)

-B

Information relevant for England only - different laws apply in Wales.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.