PIP Award — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Award

milo
milo Community member Posts: 129 Pioneering
I've recently had a PIP review, as a result I've received a letter to say that I will continue to receive the maximum award. However, rather than a 3 year award, it's been awarded for the maximum time period. Now this is great, they've finally recognised that my CP is permanent at 41 years old. My question is what is the maximum award period?  The letter is vague on whether it will be reviewed againagain. 

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi Milo,

Great news that your PIP has been reviewed and it has now been awarded for the maximum time period.

According to the PIP handbook which is available on the government website https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519119/personal-independence-payment-handbook.pdf 
    Page 29
    PIP award and reviews
    The decision maker will make an award of PIP based on the impact of the claimant’s health condition or disability on their daily life and their ability to live independently. The length of award for PIP will be based upon each claimant’s individual circumstances. Over time a claimant’s needs may change and we want to make sure a person’s award of benefit reflects their current needs. Awards vary in length from 9 months to 10 years, depending on when changes in a claimant’s needs could be reasonably expected, with reviews set at regular periods. The maximum time between reviews is 10 years. Limited term awards will be given where changes in needs may be reasonably expected – these will be up to 2 years and have a fixed end date. Awards made under the special rules for terminal illness will be for 3 years. The Daily Living component will be paid at the enhanced rate in all cases. Payment of the Mobility component will depend on whether the claimant needs help to get around, and if they do, how much help they need. Claimants will have their award regularly reviewed, regardless of the length of the award. This will make sure everyone continues to receive the most appropriate level of support.

I hope this helps. I can't promise that you won't be reviewed before the 10 years is up because PIP can be reviewed at any point during the award.

Let me know if you have any difficulties with the PIP moving forward and thanks for letting us know about your award. I'm sure this will be very helpful for other people receiving PIP.

Very best wishes
    Debbie
  • shelliemarie
    shelliemarie Community member Posts: 57 Listener
    milo said:
    I've recently had a PIP review, as a result I've received a letter to say that I will continue to receive the maximum award. However, rather than a 3 year award, it's been awarded for the maximum time period. Now this is great, they've finally recognised that my CP is permanent at 41 years old. My question is what is the maximum award period?  The letter is vague on whether it will be reviewed againagain. 
    milo sorry whats cp
  • tesco47
    tesco47 Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    Hi , my name is Paul I have spastic dipliega cp , I was awarded high rate mobility 20 years ago an indefinite award , I've driven motability cars for 16 years , now I'm being assessed for pip . I'm so worried they will take my car my independence . 
  • bam
    bam Community member Posts: 326 Pioneering
    @Paul I know how you feel. My car is my lifeline. It recently broke down and I had to go without a car for 4 weeks and it was incredibly difficult for me. Always having to take a taxi or a bus was horrible. Just the waiting was incredibly difficult. I think when you're sick waiting is probably one of the most difficult things a person has to do.
  • tesco47
    Hi Bam , my nearest bus stop quater mile from my house , no way can I walk that far . I'm 52 still walking with a stick atm but it's become so restrictive I hardly go anywhere . Seriously considering a wheelchair but like others on here it feels like giving in ?! 
  • bam
    bam Community member Posts: 326 Pioneering
    @Tesco47 have you ever thought about getting a walker. I don't use a walker very often but I keep one in the boot of my car just incase I need one. They have those really nice ones that has a cup holder, hand brakes and big back seat to put my big bum on. It was really difficult for me to do public transportation because I have problems climbing stairs and every time they would come pick me up they would bring this big van. It was so embarrassing trying to climb those stairs with people watching me. Don't give into your disability and start to isolate yourself from the world. If you isolate yourself from the world you are just going to deteriorate faster. There's lots of things out there for people like us. There's walkers, wheelchairs and electric wheelchairs. Don't be afraid to use one. Don't be too embarrassed to use one. do what you have to do to get around. There must be an agency where you live that could help you with accessories like walkers and wheelchairs. I live in America and I couldn't help you with that but the people here would know who to talk to.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    tesco47 said:
    Hi , my name is Paul I have spastic dipliega cp , I was awarded high rate mobility 20 years ago an indefinite award , I've driven motability cars for 16 years , now I'm being assessed for pip . I'm so worried they will take my car my independence . 
    Hi Paul,

How far along in the PIP process are you? 

It's hard to feel positive about PIP when you see and hear so much in the media about negative decisions and people losing their Motability cars. I'm happy to talk you through the process and give you some pointers to help you along.

With the mobility component of PIP you will be assessed using the following activity descriptors

1. Planning and following journeys.
    a. Can plan and follow the route of a journey unaided.  0 points.
    b. Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant.  4 points.
    c. Cannot plan the route of a journey.  8 points.
    d. Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid.  10 points.
    e. Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant.  10 points.
    f. Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid.  12 points.

2. Moving around.
    a. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided.  0 points.
    b. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided.  4 points.
    c. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres.  8 points.
    d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres.  10 points.
    e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided.  12 points.
    f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, –
    (i) stand; or
    (ii) move more than 1 metre.  12 points.

You have to be able to carry out the activity safely, reliably and in a reasonable time. If you can't carry out the activity under the reliability criteria another higher point scoring descriptor should be used.

If you want to talk about this in more depth I'm happy to chat through it with you.

Best wishes

Debbie

• tesco47
    Hi Debbie, I had help filling out the form from dial peterborough, sent off about a week ago , just have to wait now . 
  • shelliemarie
    i had my form and in literally a few days i had my appointment for the assessment and its when you get your assessment papers through the post yes you can ask for a copy and the nurse who dealt with me literally lied.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    tesco47 said:
    Hi Debbie, I had help filling out the form from dial peterborough, sent off about a week ago , just have to wait now . 
    I'm pleased to see that you've had some help from Dial Peterborough, it can make a big difference if you're supported through the process. I hope all goes well and please do let us know how you get on :)
  • tesco47
    Hi , well despite specifically asking for home visit on form , they've sent me one for their assessment centre . Which has NO PARKING directly outside , the nearest car park is over 1000 metres from the building and one of the busiest in town . Apparently I now need to ask my g.p for more evidence that I cannot walk that distance !!! ?? or ring every day . How can they do assessments at inaccessible locations , oh yeah had nice set of instructions to my local bus stops , ALL half mile away and another half mile other end absolute joke !! 
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hi tesco47,

Are you able to get in touch with your GP to get the evidence you need? Is DIAL able to help you if you can't get the evidence in time?

There have been quite a few stories in the media about inaccessible assessment centres and we do hear from people on the helpline too who have experienced similar problems with accessibility and the huge distances people have to travel in order to attend their assessments.

This is something that you can raise with your local MP, it's important that they know how these issues are affecting their constituents. 

Let me know how you get on and whether you're successful in arranging a home visit or an assessment at a more accessible centre.

I hope all goes well.

Debbie

• shelliemarie
    tyesco47 tell them you need a taxi as you cant walk far

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.