PIP Home Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Home Assessment

chasnbons
chasnbons Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
Hi,

I'm new here and this could be my last resort.  I'm not sure what help I can ask for so if the following isn't allowed then I'm sorry.

I have an assessment with Capita on Monday and due to not being able to travel I can't attend, they are aware of this as it was all put on my application form.  The first appointment was made at an assessment center 40 miles away, so they were again told I couldn't travel and that I needed a home assessment but they said without a letter from my GP stating that fact, seeing as the 1st appointment was only 2 weeks away and given that I needed time to get the GP letter, that all they could do, was change the appointment to a center 3 miles away which gave me an extra week to get the letter and that once they had received it they could change it again.  I got the letter, sent it recorded delivery and they have received it, but now they are saying that it makes no difference as their 'Health Care Professional' has said I can't have a home assessment as they are usually for terminally ill people.  I now don't know what to do.  I can't travel to the medical, (which is scheduled for this Monday 8th August) but if I don't go they will say I haven't turned up and my claim will be stopped even though they are fully aware of my situation.  A friends husband was given a home assessment without even asking for one, even though he COULD have gone to the assessment center so the 'terminally ill' statement is complete rubbish.  

Can anyone please advise what else I can do, I'm at breaking point now and really can't cope with much more of this.  

Capita have everything they need to give me a home assessment, but they just don't want to know.

Just to add this has been going on for 3 weeks now and although we have done everything they have asked they just keep moving the goalposts to make things as difficult as possible..  

Many thanks for reading.

(NB. If you have any questions about PIP or any other disability benefits-related issue, try asking our online benefits advisors)

Comments

• codfisherman
    codfisherman Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    i know just how  you  feel i am in the  same boat i have massive bouts of diarrea and gout which stops  me from walking ; my walking is  very  very restricted  to just the  house and  no more than 20 yards  iwas`nt  even told  that  ahome visit  was  possible  even though i couldn`t walk  i had to go to edmund house in birmingham  and could`nt even get close  to park  2/-3/4hrs  peak time in the  city to do a25min  journey 1way systems and  severe traffic build up meant we  were  stationary  for  hours  and  we  could  not  even get a phone  number to  phone  them to let  them know  we   are  completely grid  locked when i did get there 35mins  late they  said they would`nt see  me i was  very ill  that day  and  when i got  home i just collapsed  in the  door  way and  lay on the  floor  for  hours  and i could`nt  move
  • chasnbons
    Sorry to hear you also had a bad experience with these jokers.

It seems though, that we are just two of many and Capita think they can treat people however they want.

My Landlord, who has to do all the phoning round etc for me as I get too stressed on the phone (typing this is bad enough, but at least I can take as long as I like on here and I don't have to actually face anyone) even called into Disability Solutions yesterday and even though he didn't have an appointment, when he explained what was going on, they rang Capita straight away in the hope that they would have more 'power'.... they didn't and were shocked and appalled at Capitas disinterest in helping someone.

They managed to get Mondays appointment cancelled and were told that we had to ring DWP on Monday (after the scheduled appointment time) to tell them why it had been cancelled and why I couldn't have attended anyway, and we have to ask them to pass it back to Capita.  Then on Friday, we have to ring Capita and ask them for a 'Paper Based Assessment' instead.  In the meantime I have to get 'more info' from my GP but this time in the form of a letter stating all my problems, how they effect me, how long I've had them, a list of medications, etc etc etc etc etc etc!  All of which they have already had, but they want it all again.  Why all this is necessary I really don't know.  I haven't refused to have an assessment, only said that I need a home one  People who are quite able to get to one of their Assessment Centers are only a daily basis, without asking, are getting home assessments, so why are people who DO need one, being disallowed?

Anyway on Tuesday of this week, my Landlord made his 4th call to Capita on my behalf and ended up asking to make a formal complaint about this fiasco and was told that he would get a call back within 48 hours max, but the person he spoke to said in reality the timescale (to assessment) and they way this had happened, they would put it through as urgent, so it would 99% be within 24 hours to ensure there was enough time left to try and get things sorted.  Unsurprisingly the call came today, with just under an hour left to the 24 hour maximum.  The formal complaint has been officially made and everything has been listed.  My Landlord has told them everything and apparently they can check back as 'ALL calls are recorded'.  When asked if THIS call was also being recorded, he was told yes, so he asked why he hadn't been informed that it was.  The Capita guy then got defensive and didn't really know what to say, so my Landlord told him to add this fact to the list of complaints, which he has done.

I now have to wait for a letter confirming the complaint which should advise me what happens next.  So I will keep you informed.

My Landlord is also sending an email to them, itemizing everything so that we have a 'paper trail' of our own, as Capita can't really be trusted.

All this idiocy, with the amount of people it's happening to, must be costing an absolute fortune in money being needlessly spent, that taken together with the work involved with Mandatory Reconsiderations, and then the Appeals Process surely is costing more than if genuine people were treated fairly in the first place and they were allowed what they were entitled to.  Doctors and Judges alone don't come cheap, so I dread to think of the amounts which are involved
  • codfisherman
    i just feel its  the  end now  for  me i feel totally  raped  and i have lost everything including my dignity!! if this is  what our fathers  fought for   i just wish they haddent!!
  • chasnbons
    Got a letter from Capita yesterday acknowledging my complaint and saying it will take 20 days till I get some sort of reply.  In the meantime, my Landlord rang the DWP yesterday as advised by Capita seeing as the assessment was cancelled due to me not being able to attend.  No surprise that the DWP told him a completely different story of what happens now, so yet again Capita have no idea what the protocol is.  Suffice to say, DWP will now refer it to one of their departments who will look at it all again, decide whether or not to refer it back to Capita or do a paper based review or even send it back to Capita for THEM to do a paper based review.  He was also told that it will take a min of 2 weeks, so Capita saying that he should ring them on Friday 12.08.16 to ask them for a paper based review, was another load of rubbish as it's down to the DWP to decide apparently.  Email been sent to MP about all this, but so far had no response. Formal complaint to Capita has now been amended to include the latest misinformation we were given, so will have to wait and see what they say.  Found out also from DWP that my current DLA might be stopped for 'failure to comply'  although how this can happen when my Landlord has spent over a month trying to sort things out is beyond me.  It's Capita who's at fault here, yet it looks like I'm going to be penalized for THEIR incompetence!  GP has supplied ANOTHER letter for DWP/Capita and given me more pills to take alongside all the rest.  Not that it will help, nothing will when you can see no point in anything anymore.  I tried to keep as hopeful as possible etc, but I'm not in the best place just now it's wrong that they are allowed to torture people like this!
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    edited February 2017
    Hi Chasnbons,

I was horrified when I read your post and what you've been through in trying to get the home assessment you clearly need. Home visits are not exclusively reserved for terminally ill people, anyone who is unable to attend an assessment centre and has medical evidence of a need for a home visit will be entitled to have that assessment carried out in their home. 

I realise my post is quite late and you may have since progressed further down the line and managed to sort things out. If not I would like to talk to you some more about this.

I also want to point out that there is a call for evidence for the Second Independent Review for PIP and I would strongly encourage you and anyone else who has claimed PIP to submit evidence to the review. It's really important that we all participate and share our stories. Scope will be submitting evidence and if you would like to talk to us about your experience please get in touch with minesh.patel(at)scope.org.uk telephone: 020 7619 7375.

I really hope that you manage to get this resolved and please do let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • chasnbons
    Hi Debbie,

thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately no further along.  Still waiting for a letter from DWP to let me know what's happening.  In the meantime I'm just getting worse mentally, I feel like I'm on a helterskelter  going round and round further and further down.  No way of stopping it or way of getting off.  I can totally understand how and why people decide to end it all and you are made to feel that there is nothing wrong with you and that you should just pull yourself together.  

Oh if only things were so easy!  I thought this new form of system was supposed to make things easier for genuine claimants not drive them into the ground and stamp on them, in the hope that they will decide against claiming anything.  Which to be honest if it wasn't for my Landlord, I would have probably done myself and who knows I might have even ended up as yet another who was 'permanently' off ANY sort of benefit!  I also haven't had a reply from my MP as yet but I live in hope.

I have already submitted evidence, well my Landlord did, to the Independent Review, anonymously, as I'm only just up to reading things on here and typing a reply, I can't cope with the stress of having to speak to someone on the phone.

I suppose it's just a waiting game now and I will update this thread as and when there is any more news.
  • Philip
    Philip Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    If you go to the assessment, they will take it that you can travel & not housebound, I got told that when I went for my PIP assessment
  • chasnbons
    Which is why they try and force people to attend.
  • chasnbons
    Ok so today was day 20 of the 'we will reply to your formal complaint WITHIN 20 days' so my Landlord rang Capita to be told that the 20 days was only an estimate, and he couldn't get the guy on the phone to understand that that ISN'T what the letter or their website states, it is an actual timescale not an estimate.  The guy just kept saying the he was very sorry that we weren't happy with the response!!!  We HAVEN'T HAD A BLOODY RESPONSE THAT'S WHY I'M ON THE PHONE NOW!!!!!!!  On asking who he should complain to about the 'complaint's department' he was told they they answered to nobody, but the the guy slipped up and said that there was a 'head of customer relations' and actually gave her name.... SAFINA AHMED should anyone else need to know.. so my Landlord has now emailed her and asked her to look into the complaint, if she doesn't, then we go higher.  He's well and truly got his teeth into this now and won't stop till we get answers.  On another note our local MP has also been in touch with Capita regarding this fiasco and has demanded answers.  He has also been in touch with.....

Penny Mordaunt MP
    Minister of State for Disabled People, Health and Work
    Department for Work and Pensions
    Caxton House
    Tothill Street
    London
    SW1H 9NA

and although I won't post exactly what he's said on any forum, suffice to say, it's not a very supportive read where Capita are concerned as this extract shows....

Therefore, I would be grateful if you could reply, with your comments on
    why Capita are still contracted by the Government despite evidence
    that suggests they are incapable of providing a good service, so that I
    may respond to my constituent’s concerns.

Hopefully this may go some small way to Capita going the same way as Atos, at least I hope so.

Will keep updating as and when I have more info.
  • tesco47
    tesco47 Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    Thanks 4 mp info may come in handy I too am having problems with capita . 
  • tesco47
    I'm insisting on a home assement because there is no parking at venue at all and nearest car park over 1000 metres away . Now need to get docs letter , absolute bull s**t 
    they want a fight I'm ready !! 
  • codfisherman
    The Venues were designed to catch you out if you can make it to the venue then you are not classed as disabled so they save the country money
  • tesco47
    Now my gp on holiday 4 week
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Thanks everyone for your updates. I'm finding them really helpful and i'm sure people reading the discussion will find them helpful too.

@chasnbons you've done the right thing by getting in touch with your local MP and getting support from them. I'm sorry that you still haven't had a response to your complaint but hang on in there and hopefully the response will arrive soon.

I urge anyone having similar difficulties to get in touch with their local MP. You can find out who your local MP is and how to contact them using the following website http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/ 

@tesco47 is there another GP at your surgery who can write a letter for you or are there any other health care professionals you're in touch with who can write a letter for you? Could you try the local MP route to see if they could write a letter on your behalf?

Please keep posting your updates and drop me a line if you need help with anything.

Have a good day all :)
  • codfisherman
    i have  heard that there is  a16 wk waiting  time  for them to get back too  you ;;the  government  are to blame  letting these idiots  run the  country;; i phoned   my councillors  they never  even  returned  my  calls  or offered  any help too me ;; they said  if there is anything we can do to help you please dont hesitate to contact us    well i  did  contact them   and  guess  what  they  have done nothing what a  suprise!!
  • Debbie_Alumni
    @codfisherman has your assessment been rescheduled yet or are you still waiting for contact from them to arrange this? Hope you're ok today.
  • chasnbons
    Just logging this for the record.  Look at the last paragraph here http://www.capita-pip.co.uk/en/complaints.html the bit where it says this....... 

We will acknowledge all complaints within two working days, outlining the steps we are taking to examine the situation. We will provide a full response to your complaint within 20 working days. The full response will include information about what you can do if you are not satisfied with our response.....

So it's now 3 working days and counting and no acknowledgment from 
    SAFINA AHMED.  So the same rules obviously apply to the people 'higher up' in this joke of a company.... just ignore and/or don't do anything which the company states will happen on their website.

@codfisherman you need to contact your MP not your councilor.  If your MP refuses to help then try this..... 
    http://www.parliament.uk/documents/pcfs/current-inquiries/Complaining about an MP Mar13.pdf  You can read what your MP is supposed to do for you here,,,, http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201516/cmcode/1076/107602.htm#a3 
  • Debbie_Alumni
    @chasnbons I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds this delay and lack of response in your complaint unacceptable. I also note that there's no information on the website about what happens if you're not satisfied with the response (if you get one). There should be some clarity on what people can do after the internal complaints procedure. This just seems to be a further barrier. I think the next stage will be the Independent Case Examiner but they won't intervene until the internal complaints procedure has been completed. Surely there would be no harm in contacting them informally to ask what can be done if Capita are not working to their agreed timelines? Have a look at this link and let me know what you think and whether you decide to contact them.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/independent-case-examiner/about#corporate-reports
  • chasnbons
    @DebbieVoakes Thanks for the link, but it would seem that they too are only interested in 'after the fact' matters, see part 2 here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-take-a-complaint-to-the-independent-case-examiner/how-to-bring-a-complaint-to-the-independent-case-examiner

What good is it if you can't complain till you have had a response yet you can't get a response to start with?  No matter which way you turn, the buck keeps getting passed and NOBODY will take ANY responsibility for people being treated in such a disgusting manner.  I wondered if it might be a good idea and maybe help people in the future if I were to make a video and post it online saying exactly how these companies, Capita and the like, DWP and everyone else involved in this whole sorry mess are being allowed to get away with the things they are, how desperate they are making people feel and how they are ruining that last vestiges of a normal life some people have, by making them feel so bad.  Culminating with me committing suicide to show (Yes I have seriously thought about it a few times) just how bad things have got.  

But I though better of it, as they (DWP) are even managing to cover these facts up according to DNS so it would be pointless and would have no effect on the powers that be, save for being one less lower class benefits scrounger for them to worry about!

What chance does anyone have in winning the fight, when the people you are fighting against and the people you need help from, are all in league together and paid by the same Government?  A Government who no matter what they may try and get you to believe, are so 'anti giving deserving and warranted genuine cases the benefits they need', are still try to tell terminally ill people that they are fit for work!
  • codfisherman
    the women that were at edmund street (capita)shouldnt  be  a,llowed  to do that job  for  no1  they  havent  got  common sence  2  no manners  absolutely  no   no people  skills  at all and  as  for  sympathy /compassion  they  will  only  say  we  are told  what  we  can  and  cannot  do   /or  allow  any thing/excuses  ;; i only  wish they  were in our  shoes  they  would  sit there  whinging  all  day they  certainly  didnt have  any  qualifications   if  they  had  they  would  not  have  treated  us  like  we  were  abunch  of  scrounging  criminals  i hope  myillnes  doesent strike them   down

Brightness