Help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help

Kristan08
Kristan08 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited September 2016 in Work and employment

Hello im new to this im 33 years old insulin dependant diabetic not to well controlled, registered disabled due to knee injury have to use crutch to walk suffer severe depression, self harming which i have tried to keep at a low which is going well i also have memory problems due to brain damage short and long term i like many others find it very difficult to survive on the money i am given. I am willing to work if they can help but as far as ive been told no-one can, could someone please help me i cant understand how it can be said theres no work i can do but it seems fine to lower the money i can live on tho the prices of everything rises constantly and also i would love to do the same as others work have a family live life as any other would do tho it seems imposible at the moment because just making it week by week is a struggle 

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi Kristan08,

I can't help but step in as a benefits adviser to check with you what you're currently receiving and whether there are ways in which to maximise your income through the benefits system in order to give you some space to recover and get the treatment you need to stabilise things and make you stronger and ready for work.

You're absolutely right that the pressure is on to work even if you're not fit for it, yet the money you need to live on gets less and less. This is not how our welfare state should work although I do appreciate it certainly seems as though the benefits system is working against you rather than for you.  I would like to talk to you some more to make sure you're getting everything you're entitled to to help you through until you're better.

Are you claiming PIP for instance? This benefit is designed to help with some of the extra costs associated with disability and long term health conditions. It can also passport you to some extra help in other benefits.

You can only focus on getting back into work if you're strong and well enough to do so.

Let me know if I can help further.

Debbie
  • Kristan08
    I used to recieve dla and now im on a much lower rate tho my condition has not changed or improved and i struggle to fill the forms due to my memory and my family help best they can but they cant answer all questions as tho i struggle i try to live independent as i can 
  • Debbie_Alumni
    It sounds as though you've been reassessed for PIP and have received a lower award than when you were on DLA, is that right?

This is quite common, we've heard a lot about this at the helpline. Although both benefits are designed for the same purposes, the qualifying criteria is very different for PIP.

When did you have your decision, what was the decision, did you agree with it and if not did you appeal?

I would be happy to talk to you some more about this and maybe carry out a benefits check with you to make sure everything is right. If you would feel more comfortable talking about this privately either over the phone or by email call 0808 800 3333 or email helpline@scope.org.uk. Please mark your email for my attention and also include your community user name so I can identify you.

• Kristan08
    Ok thank you i will arange a time with either my family or girlfriend to phone so they can help with the information needed as there is alot of paper work due to my memory it can get very frustrating for me and i dont handle stressfull situations aswell as id like too 
  • Debbie_Alumni
    That's fine, whenever you're ready :)

Brightness