Do I include partners income on ESA claim? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I include partners income on ESA claim?

shazz
shazz Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I have CFS and have just been made redundant on voluntary basis, my problem now is claiming ESA, I am signed off from work by GP. I have received my ESA form today and I want to claim contribution base but do I need to include my partners income? My partner is self employed and money varies, will I still be able to claim it? This is all very upsetting and not helping my health as many of you are aware. Any advice is welcome

Comments

• shazz
    Okay thanks, how do I contact them please?
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi Shazz,

If you want to claim contributions based ESA only then you don't have to include your partner's details. 

On page 1 of the form
    Part 1: About your claim. It asks if you want to claim income related ESA. Tick the box which says no. It then guides you to answer the boxes about you on pages 2-24. 
    Once you've completed those questions it then guides you to Part 20 How we pay you.

I do understand how upsetting it is and the forms can seem really quite intimidating and confusing. I hope this reassures you a little bit and if you need any further advice or information, get in touch and let me know.

Best wishes
    Debbie

• shazz
    Thank you Debbie, yes I have claimed contribution based esa. Just waiting on their response. Not looking forward to the assessments as I'm sure you hear in a daily basis.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi Shazz,

It's great to hear you've claimed the ESA. I completely understand your concerns about the assessment but try not to worry not everyone has an awful time with theirs we just don't hear about the good stories as often as we do the bad.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Best wishes :)
  • shazz

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.