New bike — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New bike

Options
eddie1968
eddie1968 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2016 in Cerebral palsy
My nephew has asked for a bicycle, hes 8 with right sided  hemiplegia, I will get him one. How do i approach teaching and encouraging him? Im keen as its exercise, outdoors and confidence building.
How do i ensure i don't damage his confidence during learning process. Any help or advice appreciated.

Comments

• niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Options

Hi I have diplegia and taught myself to ride a bike at 9 years old (I'm nearly 30). I had previously ridden a tricycle and on the back of a tandem bike, which along with horse riding I think really helped improve my balance and coordination.

The way I taught myself to ride a two wheeled bike, was to start on my younger brothers small bike, so it was easy to put my feet down (and less far to fall!) I started just by scooting it around, as I couldn't coordinate getting going and putting my feet on the pedals and starting to pedal. I used slopes to build up speed easier, then learnt that by keeping my more affected leg on the pedal and scooting with my 'better' side it was even easier...

I would suggest starting on a bmx bike as they are lower, and you don't have to worry about gears. Or maybe try a 'balance bike' that has no pedals, or a scooter to help build up balance and confidence first....

Best of luck!

chris 

• Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Options
    Is there a Wheels for All group near you?
    http://cycling.org.uk/wheels-for-all/

Brightness