What can friend's son claim in addition to DLA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What can friend's son claim in addition to DLA?

Sarah99
Sarah99 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My friends son has just finished school and has started at college. . He is 19, her tax credits, child benefit and maintenance from his absent father have now stopped. . She is not able to work full time because he is so unwell and not always able to go to college.  .what can she claim to replace the money she has lost .. Or what can he claim in addition to his DLA . .he lives at home with her and she cares for him herself round the clock. . She does get carers allowance but this is a very small amount compared to what she has lost and her outgoings are still the same

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @Sarah99,

I need some further information about your friend's son please so that I can look into whether the child benefit and tax credits can continue while he is in education or whether he can claim benefits in his own right. It's a bit of a complex area to work out and I don't want to give the wrong advice here.

Could Mum or son contact us at the helpline do you think? 

Your friend could try carrying out a benefits check using the benefits calculator on our website http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/check-benefits. This will highlight any potential entitlements but it can only be used as a guide.

Ideally it would be good if she could talk to a welfare benefits adviser to try and work this out. As I said it can be quite complex working all of this out.

Many thanks
    Debbie

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.