My son got rewarded enhanced pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son got rewarded enhanced pip

Options
anncurran
anncurran Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited September 2016 in PIP, DLA, and AA
he's just got his sea form what happens if he taken off esa

Comments

• anncurran
    Options
    My son was awarded enhanced pip now he's just got his esa form can he be taken off esa 
  • buffalo
    buffalo Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Options
    the two systems still do not talk to each other.  treat each one as a separate animal to be tamed!!  In other words, one has got nothing much to do with the other.  
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @anncurran,

There should be no reason why an award of enhanced rate PIP will lead to your son losing his ESA. They are separate benefits. ESA is an income replacement benefit and PIP is designed to help with some of the extra costs associated with disability. Now that your son has qualified for enhanced PIP, this could passport him to some extra help within his ESA. Do you know if your son is receiving contributions based ESA or Income Related ESA (or both)? I can help you explore whehter he is getting the right entitlements.

The ESA form you've received sounds like they're reassessing his entitlement to ESA but this doesn't necessarily mean that he is going to lose his ESA. ESA is not awarded for fixed periods of time and is subject to regular review. Three years is usually the longest period of time between reassessments so if your son hasn't had a review for a while this could be why you've received forms from them. If there have been no improvements in your son's health since the last assessment there shouldn't be anything to worry about. Please do let me know if you need some further guidance on this.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • anncurran
    Options
    Thank you Debbie at the moment he's on contributions based esa which we have had trouble with dentist as I didn't know he had to pay for it.

it is about 3 years since he got it and he's gone from severe adhd to aspbergers thrown in now his f2f with pip was awful so hoping he doesn't have to have one for esa any help would be appreciated.

Thank you again

ann 

• anncurran
    Options
    Hi @anncurran,

There should be no reason why an award of enhanced rate PIP will lead to your son losing his ESA. They are separate benefits. ESA is an income replacement benefit and PIP is designed to help with some of the extra costs associated with disability. Now that your son has qualified for enhanced PIP, this could passport him to some extra help within his ESA. Do you know if your son is receiving contributions based ESA or Income Related ESA (or both)? I can help you explore whehter he is getting the right entitlements.

The ESA form you've received sounds like they're reassessing his entitlement to ESA but this doesn't necessarily mean that he is going to lose his ESA. ESA is not awarded for fixed periods of time and is subject to regular review. Three years is usually the longest period of time between reassessments so if your son hasn't had a review for a while this could be why you've received forms from them. If there have been no improvements in your son's health since the last assessment there shouldn't be anything to worry about. Please do let me know if you need some further guidance on this.

Best wishes
    Debbie

• anncurran
    Options
    Thank you Debbie at the moment he's on contributions based esa which we have had trouble with dentist with me thinking he got it for free.

its about 3 years since he got it based its n severe adhd now we have a diagnosis of aspbergers thrown in now his f2f with pip was awful resulting in him having a meltdown as she tried to push him to speak to her so really hoping he doesn't for esa .

any help would be grateful at the moment 

thanks for your help 

Ann 
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @anncurran,

It definitely sounds like he's being reassessed but try not to worry. Send as much information as you can about the new diagnosis of Aspergers and any other up to date medical evidence you have. You can even include a copy of the PIP assessment report when you get it. He may not need an assessment for the ESA and it might be worth asking if a paper based decision can be made to spare him the distress of another assessment. The evidence in the PIP assessment would be helpful in achieving this. If you need any help with this along the way, let me know.

With regards to the health costs, although he's on cb ESA and doesn't automatically qualify for free prescriptions and dental care, he can apply to the NHS Low Income Scheme. I've included a link so you can look into this. 
    http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1125.aspx 

I hope all goes well and I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Best wishes
    Debbie

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.