Hi guys I'm new to this and could do with some advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi guys I'm new to this and could do with some advice

CarerM
CarerM Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2016 in Cerebral palsy
Hi guys, 

I am a carer and live with a gentleman who suffers from cerebral palsy. He's a great guy, a fantastic personality and is proud to be independent and valued within his community. 

Generally he copes well with his disability, however when it comes to the night time and sleeping he suffers with a severe burning sensation in his arms. It has got progressively worse, and is clearly getting him down. We've tried various medications and whilst some have helped slightly, I was just wondering is anyone else has suffered from the same condition or know someone who has; and if so what things did you try in order to try a fix the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Many thanks, 

M

Comments

• Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi M

If the gentleman hasn't already done so I think it would be wise for him to have this worsening symptom investigated by a Neurologist as it shouldn't be assumed to be necessarily related to his cp. Burning sensations can be caused by a range on neurological conditions, such as trapped nerves. Once the cause has (hopefully) been established it should be easier to know what might ease his symptoms. I hope he is able to get some help with this.

Best Wishes

Jean 

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness