What type of benefit do I need to claim? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What type of benefit do I need to claim?

kazg57
kazg57 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I am currently employed.  However I have had a 3rd liver resection operation and currently off work.  As I have had lots of time of sick due to cancer I will not be entitled to company sick pay.   I'm really worried how I'm going to pay my bills. - I'm not quite straight after my last long term absence.  What type of benefit do I need to claim now everything is changing.

Many thanks

Comments

• abstractLucas
    abstractLucas Community member Posts: 76 Connected
    Hi @kazg57,
    Sounds like things are tough, so I'm glad you got in touch to find out what direction to head next as regards benefits.  I would imagine PIP (which is the new version of DLA) and possibly ESA (employment support allowance) if relevant to your circumstances.  I'm sure @BenefitsTrainingCo will be along with some pointers, but in the meantime if might be worth having a read of Scope's info on benefits here http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/check-benefits
    Hope that helps, and good luck moving forwards.
    Lucas
  • kazg57
    Thankyou so much.  I'm going down tomorrow to see what they say!  I'll keep in touch.  It seems to be a minefield out there!  
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @kazg57,

I hope you were able to get some good advice about your benefit entitlement. Let us know how you got on and if you need to talk more about this, let me know and we can arrange a chat.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • kazg57
    Thankyou Debbie.  Didn't manage to speak to anyone.   The office that helped with this had been closed down  :'(  Citizens Advice was appointment only!!   I spoke to work who advised me I am entitled to 19 days company sick pay so I should get a normal wage this month.  Then I'll get 28 week SSP.  I'm going to see my oncologists on Tuesday and there is a McMillan advisor available so I'm going to speak to them and see what they say!!  will keep you posted.  xx
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hi @kazg57,

Sorry to hear that the office was closed when you went down there, it's such a shame that so many services have closed.
    I'm really pleased that you'll have the SSP coming in once your company sick pay runs out. Once the SSP finishes and if at that stage you're unable to work, we can look at Employment and Support Allowance. It's also worth thinking about Personal Independence Payment to help with some of those extra costs.

Definitely speak to the Macmillan Adviser, they're great at the financial side of things. Please do keep us posted. We're here whenever you need us.

Very best wishes
    Debbie

• kazg57
    Its sad that so many useful places are being closed.  Makes you wonder if they don't want you to find out what you're entitled to in different circumstances!   :D:D

It was good to hear that I'd be entitled to a small amount of company sick.pay, then the SSP for 28 weeks.  

I have forgotten to mention that I do get work & child tax credits at the moment to so will have to see whatvthey say!!   I'll ring them tomorrow!!

Many thanks for your help, I appreciate it.  

Speak soon,

Karen x
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hi @kazg57,

There were significant changes to legal aid which came into force in April 2013. These changes removed 100% of welfare benefits advice although there is still some funding available if you're appealing to the Upper Tribunal. With legal help it was possible to get help with DLA and ESA form filling and all benefits appeals. A lot of services who were reliant on this funding had to stop offering the help or limit the help they could give and sadly a lot of services had to close. It's very sad and has put enormous pressure on the voluntary sector to fill the huge gaps. Helplines and advice agencies up and down the country and are overwhelmed with the demand for benefits advice. 

What I love about this community is that everyone is so helpful in sharing experiences and ideas. We all learn together and support each other. 

I hope you get on ok with the sorting out the tax credits today. Depending on how things pan out you could have entitlement to the Disabled Worker Element of Working Tax Credit. It's a bit complex to work out but if you're looking to return to work once you've recovered, this could be a valuable source of support.

I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Have a good day :)
  • kazg57
    Thanks Debbie, I'd never even heard of that aspect of WTC!   
    I'll let you know how I get on

Karen x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.