Refused PIP mobility component — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Refused PIP mobility component

alf53
alf53 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello new here and feeling a bit low.  I have had mobility problems for around 15 years.  I have been dyslexic all my life (my wife does my typing and form filling) and have a form of dyspraxia. I have recently had my first PIP assessment and have been refused the mobility component.  I have severe pain, bad balance, no confidence that i would read road signs correctly if there was a diversion for example.  Lots of things on the report that the assessor had just decided for herself.  I was very upset but now I am angry and am going to try to appeal

Comments

• Philip
    Philip Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    That's the problem with the assessors, if they get out the wrong side of the bed you've had it. As far as I'm concerned that person is there to listen & put your words onto system, nothing else, no judgement, no decision. The decisions should be made by fully trained staff at the DWP, however, neither happens as the so called 'health care professional' has too much to say & training within the DWP is pitiful to the point that the person dealing with your case hasn't really got a clue, I know, I was one of them, I worked at the DWP & saw it all for myself, so, before anyone goes for an assessment, they are quite likely to be fighting a losing battle. It's a poor state of affairs that needs to be dealt with quickly, but the government are attacking the soft of to get people of benefits.
  • julierose
    julierose Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    the asscessors are not medically trained not Drs mine was here 15 minutes max, they have already made the desicion before your even seen ,  im disgusted with it all ,its not so much about the money its the other help that comes with the benefit ,im now left stranded alone no back up support ,i have no idea what to do ...i had letter this morning saying i am losing other income too because of all this .ive had it i am honestly just want end it all ..i know that sounds selfish and im fighting it but one more thing i cant take it anymore
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    alf53 said:
    Hello new here and feeling a bit low.  I have had mobility problems for around 15 years.  I have been dyslexic all my life (my wife does my typing and form filling) and have a form of dyspraxia. I have recently had my first PIP assessment and have been refused the mobility component.  I have severe pain, bad balance, no confidence that i would read road signs correctly if there was a diversion for example.  Lots of things on the report that the assessor had just decided for herself.  I was very upset but now I am angry and am going to try to appeal

Hi alf53

Sorry to hear that you have been refused the mobility component of PIP. You have one month from the date of the decision to request a mandatory reconsideration of the decision. Following which if the decision stays the same you then have one month from the date of that decision to lodge an appeal.

Sadly it is not unusual for the decision to stay the same after a mandatory reconsideration and the most recent statistics show that 60% of PIP mandatory reconsiderations result in the award remaining unchanged. However 65 per cent of PIP decisions are overturned by tribunal which tells its own story! 

Be clear when you make your request for a mandatory reconsideration and state why you think the decision is wrong and what you think the correct decision should be. The decision maker needs to consider whether you can carry out the activities within the PIP assessment reliably. This means considering whether you can complete the activities: 

·         Safely – in a manner unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person, either during or after completion of the activity

•        To an acceptable standard

•        Repeatedly – able to repeat the activity as often as is reasonably required

•        In a reasonable time period – no more than twice as long as the maximum period that a non-disabled person would normally take to complete that activity. 

If you think they haven’t done this then be sure to point it out. 

Best wishes 

Paul

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.