Two sons with special needs, family friend always helps out - can he claim carers allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Two sons with special needs, family friend always helps out - can he claim carers allowance?

Options
Josephine
Josephine Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, I'm very new using the Internet. I have 2 sons with special needs their both get DLA I'm a single mun.  I'm claiming Carers allowance for one of them. It is not easy for me, my family friend always come and help me out with my youngest son. I don't know if he can get carers allowance?  And will it affect my benefit? Please I need answers ASAP. THANKS

Comments

• abstractLucas
    abstractLucas Community member Posts: 76 Connected
    Options
    Carers allowance depends on caring for 35 hours plus each week for someone on at least middle rate care component of DLA - do both your boys get at least middle rate?  As to whether him claiming that for your son would affect your other benefits, I don't think so but would check with @BenefitsTrainingCo before supporting your friend to make a claim, just in case!
    @BenefitsTrainingCo, what do you think?
    Lucas
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi Josephine 

Your family friend could claim carer’s allowance (CA) as long as they meet the criteria which you can find here: Carer's allowance 

I’m assuming that you are claiming CA in respect of one son and your friend would be claiming in respect of your other son in which case your benefits would not be affected if your family friend claimed CA. However I’m also assuming that you are receiving child benefit and child tax credits for both of your sons and if this isn’t the case then my advice could be different. 

Hope that helps 

Best wishes 

Paul

The Benefits Training Co:

• Josephine
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me. both of my sons are getting the high rate. Yes I'm claiming child benefit and child tax credit for both of them.  Thank you all

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    Options
    Hi Josephine

The highest rate (or the middle rate) of the care component of DLA allows for carer's allowance to be claimed. As Paul said your friend will be able to claim carer's allowance for one of your sons without it affecting any of your benefits. Carer's allowance requires the carer to be providing 35 hours of care each week but there is no clear definition of what counts as care. The care must be provided in person though, it cannot be done remotely so it cannot be provided over the phone for example.

I hope this helps.

David

• Josephine
    Options
    My friend comes to the house to help me to take him out,  pick him up from school. Stay home with him. When I go out with other of my children. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Options
    It's worth checking whether this adds up to at least 35 hours a week Josephine.

If it is at least 35 hours a week then it sounds as if it would count (supervision can count as caring). You'd also need to check that your friend met the other conditions:

not a full-time student
    not earning more than £110 a week
    not subject to immigration control and has been in the UK for at least 104 weeks in the last 3 years (just in case this applies).

Carer's Allowance counts as income for other benefits so it's a good idea for your friend to get advice too. For example, it is income for tax credits. For most other income-based benefits it affects the calculation in two ways - it counts as income, but it also gives the claimant a 'carer premium' which can help them get more. Your friend would need to tell the local authority if they are getting Housing Benefit, for example.

He could get advice locally from Citizens Advice, or contact Carers UK, or he could do a benefit calculation using the Turn2Us calculator.

Will

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.