We can't afford to pay for mum's care — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

We can't afford to pay for mum's care

bevk
bevk Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Comments

• bevk
    Hi.its regarding my mum who is disabled due to a stroke and also recently lost my dad.she needs personal care 4 times a day to get her out/ in bed and to take her to the toilet as she can't walk.we have just been told that she has to pay for this £420 a month after having it free for  2 years.reason being there saying she has savings which she hasn't and I have provided bank statements.we can not afford to pay this but she needs this care.please can you advise 
  • Yiman60
    Yiman60 Community member Posts: 95 Connected
    edited October 2016
    bevk said:
    Hi.its regarding my mum who is disabled due to a stroke and also recently lost my dad.she needs personal care 4 times a day to get her out/ in bed and to take her to the toilet as she can't walk.we have just been told that she has to pay for this £420 a month after having it free for  2 years.reason being there saying she has savings which she hasn't and I have provided bank statements.we can not afford to pay this but she needs this care.please can you advise 
    http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/practical-support/getting-care-and-support/carers-assessment?gclid=Cj0KEQjwg8i_BRCT9dHt5ZSGi90BEiQAItdjpG8X3jw7rUh64x-oNctCeDoMKZ8u2HbUBu4RJn_hvTYaArjR8P8HAQ

You need to ask for a carers assesment for yourself yourself and your family.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/ 

This Charity is excellent give them a call.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-rights/legal-system/taking-legal-action/do-you-need-legal-advice/

Citizens advise will give you free Legal Advise.

Your local council should also offer a free welfare benefits check.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi bevk,
    I agree with the advice to contact Carers UK who can help you with advice on challenging the financial assessment which has resulted in the council (I assume it is the council?) charing your mum for care.  And as Yiman60 says, you can also ask about getting a carer's assessment yourself. 

On the subject of benefits, you don't say how old your mum is but if she is under 65 she should look into claiming PIP (personal independence payment), which can include an amount for daily living activities and for mobility. If she is 65 or over and making a new claim it would have to be for attendance allowance (AA), which doesn't include anything to reflect limited mobility, but could still help with the costs of other care which she needs such as getting in and out of bed and going to the toilet.

If she gets either the daily living component of PIP, the middle or higher rate component of Disability Living Allowance (new claims can't be made for this, but I mention it in case she is currently on it and hasn't been moved to PIP), or AA, then if you or anyone else in the family is providing care of at least 35 hours a week you could claim Carer's Allowance (CA). There are other rules involved for CA including not earning more than a certain amount and not being in full-time education, but it is worth checking.

Also as mentioned above, a benefits check is worth doing as there are other income-related benefits too, which either your mum or maybe you might be entitled to. You can use this link to the Turn2Us benefits calculator. It's worth having a look yourself and you can always post again if you have more questions once you have done that.

I hope you can get the charging issue sorted out and also make sure you and your mum are getting everything you're entitled to.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

• bevk
    thank you for all your help

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.