Do DWP text receipt of mandatory decision requests? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do DWP text receipt of mandatory decision requests?

Options
Matilda
Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
I posted my PIP mandatory reconsideration request to DWP a week ago by 1st class recorded delivery and haven't received a text yet acknowledging receipt.  Do DWP customarily acknowledge receipt of mandatory reconsideration requests?

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi Matilda,

The DWP do communicate by text sometimes, but usually only if you agreed to this when you first contacted them to make your PIP claim and gave them your mobile number. They normally text to acknowledge receipt of an initial claim or to tell you that a decision has been made and even then can be a bit hit and miss. The best thing to do to put your mind at rest is to give them a quick call to see if they have received it.

Best wishes,

Michael

The Benefits Training Co:

• Matilda
    Options
    Thanks, Michael.  They did text to acknowledge receipt of PIP claim and later to say they had all the info needed to make a decision.  Maybe they don't acknowledge receipt of mandatory reconsideration requests and I'll need to phone them.   They won't be able to deny having received my letter as I sent it recorded delivery.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Matilda
    Options
    Yes, mumof3boys, strange how letters to the DWP seem to get 'lost in the post'! That's why I sent mine recorded delivery.
  • fedupfemale
    fedupfemale Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Options

Hi Matilda

I have also put my Mandatory reconsideration in. Sent it by special next delivery. They got it last Thursday but I never received a text. I did however miss a phone call from Pip on Monday.I have not rang them back as I involved my Mp and she has not got back to me either.

Good Luck with yours

Best wishes

x

• Matilda
    Options
    Thank you, fedupfemale.  The DWP certainly don't have a good customer care policy.

If it's important, DWP will phone you again.

Good luck with your mandatory reconsideration as well.
  • fedupfemale
    fedupfemale Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Options

I have been told they only ring you when they don't change their mind.Then I got told they ring you for more information. I just think it would be a bit quick for them to make a decision since it only got to the handling centre on Thursday. Time will tell.

I do not think DWP have a customer care policy at all.

Keep us posted

x

• Matilda
    Options
    I'll phone them tomorrow and find out if they've received my letter.
  • sooz
    sooz Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    I received a text saying they had my mandatory reconsideration. This was however, 12 days after I posted it first class. I'm assuming this means the 28 days they have to make a decision will start from the day they sent the text and not the day they actually received the letter!
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Options

Hi sooz

Just to point out that unfortunately there is no specific time limit for how long the DWP have to carry out a mandatory reconsideration. In my experience it can range from a month to three months before a decision is made and sadly on occasion it has taken even longer. On this basis unless you receive a text/letter/phone call acknowledging receipt it's always worth checking with the relevant department that a request for a mandatory reconsideration has been received to avoid missing the deadline.

Best wishes 

Paul

• sooz
    Options
    Oh ok, thank you.....good to know. I thought I'd read somewhere they had 28 days. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Options
    Hi Sooz

PIP are not expected to decide a Mandatory Reconsideration within a set time.  My colleague mentions that in his opinion it can take 1-3 months, and sadly sometimes longer.  I can only agree with him, as this is also my experience.   

The 28 day rule that you mention possibly refers to the next stage of challenging a decision, that is lodging an appeal, which hopefully you will not have to do.  With an appeal when PIP are notified that an appeal has been lodged they will have to prepare the appeal papers within 28 days.

Best wishes

Maria

• sooz
    Options
  • poll
    poll Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    I sent my MR on Thursday recorded delivery. It was signed for at 5am Friday.  I got a txt today tMinday to say they had received it 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for sharing that @poll :) It looks like this post is a few years old now, but I'm sure your comment will be helpful for other members. Best of luck with your MR!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • poll
    poll Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Thankyou. I rang them and spoke to a lovely lady who gave me a lot of information about other things I may be able to claim too.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    poll said:
    Thankyou. I rang them and spoke to a lovely lady who gave me a lot of information about other things I may be able to claim too.

If it was DWP call centre you rang then any advice from them shouldn't be relied on because they are not trained benefits advisors. They have very limited benefits knowledge. If you want advice regarding benefits entitlement i'd advise you to speak to an advice agency near you. Or you can ask questions on here and someone will be able to advise you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.