Atos Medical — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Atos Medical

KatieR2
KatieR2 Community member Posts: 28 Listener
Hi Scope,

got the dreaded... I declare this is a form of torture. You make all this effort to be positive and get well and it gets held against you. Then you relapse. Again.

Every few years you have to prod me to see if I relapse and you go on prodding until I do. Then maybe I get my money back or whatever services I was using. I don't see what is the problem with writing a problem with writing a proper asssessment. I would go something like a school report. This is how she is doing. She is strong in this area and needs more help in this area. And for the future this is what we need to do to best promote her recovery .... etc. Simples .I could write it myself! Surely it would be more productive in the long run to write balanced reports like that

I don't know if they will let me have an advocate. It says you can bring a friend relative or carer with you.

thanks for listening.

Comments

• KatieR2

nb recieving intrusive phone calls from the jobcentre. I think I'll ask them to write to me before making a phonecall. So that

a) I can prepare

b) I can find out if the phonecall is really necessary. It turned out one of the calls could be replaced by a form in the post which I would prefer.

thanks for listening
  • KatieR2

And now I am called to another interview at the jobcentre AS WELL! only the day after my medical. I got a relative to phone them to ask fo rmore time. Obviously I can't do two things like that in a row. Apparently this is to keep you in touch with the world of work.

what with that and phoning people for help this is now taking up all my time. I won't be able to get to the ME meeting this month or the folk club . And may have to cancel a course that I had set my heart on and was searching charity funding for.

I'm also showing signs of slipping like rushing my food an being unable to rest without falling asleep. I am 47 with ME and a schizotypal history. If there is any chance of me doing a doll dance its not by being hassled in this way!

thanks for listening
  • KatieR2

drink to me only with your hair
    you don't even know I'm there
    what I choose not to show
    nobody needs to know
  • KatieR2

today I recieved two phonecalls from the jobcentre which I waited to go on the answerphone. When the message started, they rung off. If tis someting really important then why do they have a problem leaving a message?

there is a petition about the cuts on here: www.gopetition.com
  • KatieR2

Hi Scope,

today I had the jobcentre interview they said I had to go to. This actually wasn't too bad although I'd got into quite a state before hand. He seemed more interested in my health than my employment history. And wanted to know what my GP thinks of my future prospects.

Hes written a report that says GP doesn't know when she will be able to work. So it may be that'll be it for the next 3 years, apart from the ATOS thing next week. I also asked him if I could tape record the interview which he said no to (they always record us on the phone!) and whether anyone had referred me as I don't know anyone else in my area who is going through this.

He said that he wasn't aware of me having been referred and that this will come up for everyone every 3 years. Funny though Im the only person in my peer group that does volunteering sometimes and also the first one to go to this. One of my friends support worker tries to persuade him to go to the jobcentre he says but he hasn't been told that he's got to go.

I also asked him if he is a disability adviser to which he said he used to be. Then he said what advice would I like and I said that I don't recommend that I work at the moment. To which he said that he can't advise me then! he sounded a bit irritated. They invited me to this not the other way round! I said it depends what you mean by employment advice. Some advisers have said to me not to overdo it or even not to work at all and that was the advice!

he was also a bit irritated with m y difficultlies u nderstanding his report. But I think the report is what I was hoping for , if Atos agree then there is a chance of my being left alone

thanks for listening
  • panther
    panther Community member Posts: 251 Courageous
    Hi Katie

Last year I received a letter saying I had to attend an appointment at the jobcentre with one of their advisors. If I didn't attend then my benefits would stop. They gave me very short notice received the letter on the Friday and they wanted me to go in the following Tuesday.

I rang to move the appoinment to the Monday as my partner could then take me and to also enquire if the appointment was related to any of the benefit changes and he said no he would explain more when we went to appointment.

Like the person you saw he wasn't a disability employment advisor he just told us that it was a new thing they now have to see you every few years as he put it to have a chat with you and check that you are still disabled. And see if you wanted any help with looking for volunteer work, or if you felt you could work help with looking for work or any courses to help you get work paid or as a volunteer.

I took the Scope cp and ageing factsheet with me and he said he could see I was still clearly disabled and as I was due to go into hospital for surgery 2 days after the appointment we could discuss options for possible courses, some kind of work etc at the next review in a few years time.
    His only advice was to take the cp and ageing factsheet with me when I went to the medical and to also make short I get something from my gp to back up what I'm saying when I fill out the forms

Helen
  • KatieR2

hi Helen,

that wasn't too bad was it. I hope the Atos thing won't be too hard either.
  • KatieR2

having difficulty recovering from that actually. Hopefully this will just last for a few days but I feel shot to bits more than usual. My home looks like a bomb has hit it and I'm feeling a bit paranoid

thanks for listening
  • KatieR2

Benefits sent me a new appointment without consulting the advocate about the date as agreed. So i had to spend the day chasing that up. I was lucky to hear back from the advocate straight away. Fortunately she is able to make that date anyway. Just as well as they get funny if you miss more than 2 appointments.

Some more thoughts -

- if the Benefits doctor is not a specalist, then they should be just there to check that our own doctors word is true rather than to make their own assessment. i think the Benefits doctors tend to be GPs and as everyone knows GPs are not able to diagnose everyhting

- I'm starting to 'beat myself up' as you do in my condition. This then impacts on my stomach. My home is becoming unhigeinic. Instead of recieveing help and support like I used to I now recieve alot of hassle and aggravation

• aidan
    aidan Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Am movingfrom DLA to PIP after exam by step nurse . What happens in the meantime?
  • nessa20
    nessa20 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    KatieR2 said:
    Hi Scope,

got the dreaded... I declare this is a form of torture. You make all this effort to be positive and get well and it gets held against you. Then you relapse. Again.

Every few years you have to prod me to see if I relapse and you go on prodding until I do. Then maybe I get my money back or whatever services I was using. I don't see what is the problem with writing a problem with writing a proper asssessment. I would go something like a school report. This is how she is doing. She is strong in this area and needs more help in this area. And for the future this is what we need to do to best promote her recovery .... etc. Simples .I could write it myself! Surely it would be more productive in the long run to write balanced reports like that

I don't know if they will let me have an advocate. It says you can bring a friend relative or carer with you.

thanks for listening.
    i got my advocate if this helps they let her still waiting for screy brown letter
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    aidan said:
    Am movingfrom DLA to PIP after exam by step nurse . What happens in the meantime?
    Hi aidan,

If you've had your assessment it's a case of waiting for a decision. You will continue to receive your DLA payments as normal until a decision is made about your PIP.

If there's anything else I can help please do let me know.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • aidan
    Thank you Debbie, I have been accepted for PIP but they have stopped my pension credit
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Why have they stopped your pension credit, aidan? I have been awarded standard daily needs and standard getting around PIP, and have kept my pension credit.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Indeed. Has anyone heard of a claimant being awarded MORE benefits after a PIP assessment 'to make sure they are receiving the right amount'?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • aidan
    Hi Matilda, I have no idea why my P. Credit was stopped. Will ask my carer to pursue it. THank you for your time.
  • subrumygirl1
    subrumygirl1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi can someone please help me to understand I have been receiving DLA for over 18 yrs and use my motorbility allowance of high rate for a car always have but even though I was awarded this for life I have never had the care componant due to not applying for it when I was first awarded the citizens advice did not fill in my forms correctly I still have not been contacted about my benefit being changed although my boyfriend claims for me now and as done for the last 2 yrs what sholuld I do thank you 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.