Statutory Sick Pay and benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Statutory Sick Pay and benefits

Options
anxious_and_worried
anxious_and_worried Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have been off work for 3-4 months now suffering from a number of conditions. The underlying condition being stress/depression. After my first month out I received reduced pay and realised that at some point I had been put on statutory sick pay.  The next month I received approx £450, which (as I am sure you can imagine) does not constitute enough to cover my rent alone. Then I received my reminder for £150 council tax.  I was only able to survive due to savings that are now almost entirely depleted.
Is there any assistance/allowance that I may claim while this goes on?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi anxious_and_worried

Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing, I am moving your post to the Ask a benefits advisor category.

You can use the benefits calculator here to help you figure out what you could claim.

Do also get involved in the community, chat to others, read through other posts, we have a great community here of people in so many different situations.

Hope this helps you

Sam
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi anxious_and_worried 

I would echo the advice already provided by Sam in her post above and advise you to post back on here if you have any difficulties with the benefits calculator or if there's anything you're not sure of. 

From what you have said, a reduction in your income could lead to an entitlement to housing benefit for help with your rent and also to a reduction in your council tax. For both of these you would apply to your local authority/council and quite often you can do this online so it's also worth having a look at their website too. Having said that, the benefits calculator should identify this and hopefully point you in the right direction.

Best wishes

Paul

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.