Could I claim — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Could I claim

Options
fineart
fineart Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have moderate cerebral palsy down my right which I've had since I was 18hr's old I'm now 32 , and just been diagnosed with cushings disease which is debilitating! I'm also a career for mother who is 75 who has among other things a heart condition and is parley housebound so I have do shopping etc ... I'm on esa and get DLA ( lower rate for care ) they've not put me on pip yet I'm scared that they will take it off me even though it says indefinite on my DLA (I went for the dreaded assment when they changed to esa which was horrible) I don't get the mobility part of the DLA even though I have cerebral palsy and I'm scared to go for that part as they may take it off me altogether ( I don't want rock the boat .. I did get middle when I was younger but they took it off me because I didn't go to doctors every time I fell, which I still do frequently  and now have to walk with an aid and would permently in the Doctors .

My my question is it possible to claim for Cushing disases I have an official diagnosis 

thanks lydia 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @fineart
    I'm sorry you are having such a tough time, it can be so confusing to navigate the fields of DLA and PIP.  
    Have you seen the Cushings Support Group?  They may be able to give you advice specific to Cushings Disease.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Lydia

It is the way a health condition or disability affects you that determines your entitlement to PIP. It is not the diagnosis itself.

That said a new diagnosis suggests a change in circumstances which ordinarily would allow for your benefit to be looked at again. The trouble is you would have to claim PIP early because DLA awards can no longer be changed if you are of working age. This would of course lead to your DLA award ending. You might get more through PIP but there are no guarantees.

You can find out more about PIP on the Scope pages here and the activity areas/points scores are on the Citizen's Advice website here.

I hope this helps.
    David
    The Benefits Training Co:

• fineart
    fineart Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi

thanks that helps a lot my DLA is indefinate as it stands now..  they have not changed me over to pip as of yet! would it be indefinate on pip? Or would I after to go through the whole process again ? 

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Dear fineart,

There is no guarantee your award would be indefinite on PIP. The law says awards should be fixed term (have an end date) unless that would be inappropriate. Of course with many conditions it is probably inappropriate to make a fixed term award but I'm afraid that doesn't stop the DWP making them! One judge said that if the chances of improvement are 'remote' then it wouldn't be appropriate to make a fixed term award. Unfortunately the DWP don't seem to take this into account as much they maybe should. 

Also, you would have to go through the whole process of applying for PIP which usually involves a medical. It's a points based benefit looking at what you can and cannot do. More information is here.

As my colleague says a new diagnosis doesn't necessarily mean you will get PIP but it may be evidence about your needs and how long they will last. I don't want to put you off because it does sound as if you might meet the conditions for a mobility component. Be we have to be realistic & unfortunately PIP medicals often produce results that don't match up with the reality. The other thing it's worth saying is that you will be moved onto PIP anyway, eventually. So in a way reporting the change gets that out of the way but it is risky!

Do ask if there's any more advice we can give you to help you decide what to do.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.