Cannot work due to recovering from triple bypass also disabled — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cannot work due to recovering from triple bypass also disabled

Taliboo_58
Taliboo_58 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hi my husband is in hospital waiting for a triple heart bypass he is also disabled can he claim incapacity benefit as his normal job is a driving instructor and he has to avoid stress

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Taliboo_58 you can have a look at the benefits information here and also there is a benefits calculator that might help. 

Hopefully the benefits advisors will be able to offer more support.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi Taliboo_58

It is possible your husband could claim a benefit called employment and support allowance (ESA). He might be entitled to claim ESA in his own right depending on the level of national contributions he has paid or claim as part of a couple but that would depend on your circumstances.

To advise you further I need to know if you are in work and if so how many hours do you do? If not, are you in receipt of any other benefits?

In relation to your husband there is another benefit that he might also be entitled to claim called personal independence payment (PIP). However, you mention he is disabled and I wonder does he already get this or perhaps another benefit called disability living allowance (DLA)?

Finally are you a homeowner or do you pay rent for where you live? And are you liable for council tax? Depending on your answers it may mean you are eligible for extra help with these things too.

Please post back on here and we will advise you further.

Best wishes

Paul

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.