What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Have your say about your online community! Complete our annual survey.

Feeling confused

anne123anne123 Member Posts: 1 Listener
After some advise ,been signed of work for just over a year and Dr has advised me to contact esa..I'm on income support,is esa the same as pip..feeling confused as what to do 
Many thanks 


  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @anne123 it can be so confusing can't it?!

    Take a look at the benefits section on the Scope website which may be able to give you more information too.

    "Employment Support Allowance (ESA) is a benefit for people of working age who have a limited ability to work because of ill health or disability.

    Personal Independence Payments (PIP) were introduced in 2013 to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for new claimants ages 16 to 64. PIP is not a means-tested benefit and isn't affected by earnings, other income or savings."
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi anne123

    I hope you found the benefits section on the Scope website helpful.

    I noticed that you posted that you are on Income Support.  Are you on Income Support as a carer of someone else, or are you a lone parent? 

    If you contacted Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) you may find that your Income Support would be replaced by ESA, and as such you need to make sure that you are not worse of claiming ESA. 

    Personal Independence Payments (PIP) however is paid in addition or on top of all other benefits. 

    Please post again if you need any further information, as, as Sam said the benefits system can be confusing.

    Kind regards

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.