Hi, my name is libra98uk! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is libra98uk!

libra98uk
libra98uk Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I'm a 56 year veteran of this world. Have several disabilities/illnesses/diseases, some of which have been around since birth and some newer ones, too. I don't tend to belabour my problens. I just get on.

I just needed somewhere to gain a little support...PIP and Atos have struck my world!
I've been on DLA for too many years and recently had to apply for the change over?!?! Anyway, I hear nothing from Atos or DWP until my DLA is cut and stopped. When I enquired, DWP said it was no longer in their hands, I was on PIP now. Apparently, PIP sent me a text???? then phoned me, on the number they sent the unanswered text to, then informed DWP I was an FTA at my assessment and they withdrew my application. All with no correspondence from either group. 
I only found out because I started to worry when DLA stopped and called them for clarification. I have had to restart the PIP process and it will be looked at in the new year. 
So, I'm going to have a wonderful Christmas. No money and mounting bills and debt.
How can the Government justify treating a disadvantaged group like they do?!?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,
Lynn.

Comments

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Hi @libra98uk, sorry to hear of your troubles - I've moved your post to our benefits advisor's page, who may be be able to offer you some guidance.

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello Lynn

I am sorry to hear about your difficulty in transferring from DLA to PIP.

You have done the right thing in making a new claim for PIP.  Will there however be a gap in your benefit from when DLA stopped to when you requested the new PIP form? 

ATOS should have sent  a letter to you confirming your appointment date and time.  Given that you had no contact in writing from ATOS, something has obviously gone terribly wrong.  Did ATOS have an incorrect telephone number/address to contact you?  

You also stated that your PIP application was withdrawn.  Did you receive a letter stating that your application had been withdrawn or a decision stating that you are not entitled to PIP? If so, what was the date of this letter?

Please post again, as with the above furtehr information we can advise you further on whether you are able to request a revision of the decision.  There can be time limits time limits to request a revision so please post soon.  

Kind regards

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

• libra98uk
    Hey, Maria,
    No texts, no calls and most definitely, no letters.
    I checked my mobile bill. 
    When I spoke to DWP, I was told they had sent a letter, unfortunately it hadn't been scanned onto system. He said generic letters were often not scanned. Surely my letter was personal, specific to my situation.
    I have emailed Atos with a query.
    Lynn
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi libra98uk,

So, to be clear, you did make the PIP claim when the DWP wrote to you about it, but then heard nothing about your assessment date from ATOS? If that's right, I think there are various things you can do.

First of all, you should definitely complain about not getting your assessment date from ATOS. It sounds as if they used the wrong mobile phone number, and if they did send a letter, it obviously didn't get to you! The letter would have been personal in so far as it was presumably an offer of an assessment date for you, but they are all computer-generated - ask ATOS if they can tell you more. Don't hesitate to escalate your complaint as they clearly had the wrong details. 

Secondly, you should challenge the refusal of your first PIP claim (what the DWP called withdrawal, I think is probably them refusing PIP because of what they thought was your failure to participate). I'm not sure how long ago this was, but as my colleague points out, there are time limits. If it was more than a month ago, explain why you are requesting a late revision of the PIP decision. You have to ask for this (also called a mandatory reconsideration) before you can appeal.

Here, you didn't attend the medical but you had a good reason - you didn't know about it. You should have been send written notice of the date and time, unless you accepted being given notice by telephone. But that still isn't good enough because you clearly didn't receive any notification at all, and you can prove that. 

As Maria says there's probably a gap between your DLA stopping and your request for the second PIP form. Even if that's a small gap, it's worth going through this process to get the money you're entitled to. And I would definitely complain too as this kind of thing happens far too often!

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• libra98uk
    Thanks Will. I will push on. I have emailed a query, but will escalate it to a complaint. I shall contact both Atos  and DWP and get more clarification.
    Thankfully, I am a slightly more verbal customer. If my input makes the way easier for someone else, all good. 
    Lynn
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi Lynn,

Did you hear back about your complaint?

We'd love to hear how you're getting on. Let us know if there's anything else we can support you with.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.