Ear Defenders for young children — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ear Defenders for young children

Options
cruthe
cruthe Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2016 in Research and opportunities
Hi there,
 I'm a final year student in product design and I'm looking into ear defenders for young children, I want to make them something more desirable and comfortable to wear. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with them or just general things perhaps when using them that could be of help? perhaps how many people don't use them? and if kids tend to take them off?
Would appreciate any feedback :) thank you for your time.
Caitlin.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @cruthe welcome to the community and I hope you get some ideas here that help.  

@VickiKirwin do you have any ideas?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • VickiKirwin
    VickiKirwin Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Caitlin

Sounds like a very interesting topic to investigate further! I have blogged about the type and range of ear defenders available for babies and young children which you can read about here https://kidsaudiologist.info/2011/09/04/protecting-young-ears-from-noise/ The range is pretty limited. In my experience most children will accept ear defenders if they don't like loud noise (i.e. if they see the benefit of them) but some will not wear them consistently if they are quite happy listening in loud noise (i.e. those wearing them purely to protect their hearing). There are also some children who have particular difficulties accepting any type of headwear, headphones, ear defenders etc, such as some children who are on the autistic spectrum. Happy to discuss further if you'd like too. Otherwise, good luck with your project.

Vicki

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Brill! Thanks @VickiKirwin

Hope this helps @cruthe
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Fundamentalist
    Fundamentalist Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
    Options
    Hi from Fm. I have suffered severe misophonia, or 4S syndrome since birth and it absolutely destroyed my childhood and I couldn't have any friends because of it and I still suffer with it now after 50-odd years and in my experience ear defenders don't work at all. And neither does a "Walkman" on full blast, everything just goes right through it. There is something else you could try called noise cancelling headphones but I don't know if they really work at all as I've never tried them and I don't know if there's any available to fit a child. Fm.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.