autism and playing with younger children — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

autism and playing with younger children

mandii
mandii Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My son is on the autism spectrum, he maintained his constant struggle with bullying from peers while in mainstream school, & now aged 17 he is attending his 2nd year at college, where he has blossomed, I've had it brought to my attention that whilst he is at home, for recreation he still goes out to play. Mixing with much younger children in our local community, and I'm wondering if the parents of those children would see it as being wrong or wierd,  as they probably unaware of my sons ASD. I would like to hear of others opinions about this, 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mandii I know this is an old post but I wondered how you were getting on?

Perhaps it would be worth you chatting to the parents of the younger children?  
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • EmmaFarrell
    EmmaFarrell Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    Hi @mandii , my cousin also has autism. She is 17 now but still plays with children a few years younger than her. I know my aunt has chatted to their parents and gone for coffee with them which may be helpful in your case. My aunt has found everyone has been v understanding and had picked up on it before she said anything anyway. 
  • Oscar17
    Oscar17 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi, as a parent with a son who has ASC/Aspergers and a 5 year age gap with my daughter who is 4,  I find he is very good with younger children inc her friends. Whilst at primary school staff said he was very good with the little ones- this was because they looked up to him. Most likely something similar is happening here with your son. Communication and acceptance is easier. Hopefully no other parents judge you/him unfairly and you can inform them if need be. Keep your awareness of the situation.

Brightness