should i apply for P.I.P ? any advice please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

should i apply for P.I.P ? any advice please

Options
katz
katz Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I'm 48 female , I do not claim anything & don't work as I'm not fit, I have a heart pacemaker, and bad fibro some days I can hardly get out of bed , I have good days & a lot of bad days due to bad pain, I'm on all the pain meds , would I be able to apply for P.I.P & if so who would help me to fill it in etc ? Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Y4WKE
    Y4WKE Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Kathy, can't offer any advice I'm afraid but I'm in a similar position to you and feel completely overwhelmed and despondent. I'm finding it difficult to accept my failing health. i survived breast cancer diagnosed in 2007 but ongoing treatment (surgery) three years ago has left me with Fibromyalgia and lately I have come to suspect spinal stenosis may be accounting for the pain I'm in while walking the shortest of distances. I am able to drive as sitting makes the pain go away but if I didn't have my car, life would not be worth living :-( 
    I hope you find some answers that could help us and others.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Take a look at the Disability Rights and CAB websites' advice on PIP.  Remember, it's not your diagnoses that render you eligible for PIP but how your medical conditions affect your ability to walk outdoors and your ability to undertake and complete various essential daily activities.  Make sure that you don't overestimate your abilities in any of the sections - this is most important.  These sites also give advice on how to complete PIP forms.  You might also be able to get advice in person from CAB or another local advice organisation.  And you can phone the Scope Helpline 0808 800 3333.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi katz and Y4WKE,

As Matilda says PIP is all about what you can and cannot do both at home (daily living activities) and when you are walking outside (mobility activities). You can have a look at the points system here. You need at least 8 points for daily living, and 8 for mobility, to get the standard rate of both components, and 12 points for the enhanced rate. Remember that you may get one component, or both.

When you're completing the form it is a really good idea to get help, and as well as Citizens Advice there are sometimes local disability organisations which can help (look on your local council's website). Or you can phone the Scope helpline and they may be able to suggest sources of support with the application that are local to you.

This site is a good one to look at if you want to think about your condition and the activities it is likely to affect - it may help make sure you don't miss anything relevant. Pain should be taken into account when assessing whether you can do something - if it causes you pain, then you should be considered not to be able to do the activity at that level, and you should get some points.

Finally, I would encourage you both to apply from what you have said, as it sounds like there is a chance both of you should get at least some PIP. PIP can't be backdated (paid for a time before you claim) so getting a claim in sooner rather than later makes sense.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.