I find it difficult to work full time and worrying — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I find it difficult to work full time and worrying

jacintawhite
jacintawhite Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I  am a 54 year old lady. I  work full time  with children.  I  have a lot of health issues which I  have coped well with but a couple of months ago I was diagnosed with fibromyalga.  I  find it really difficult to work full time and worry about what would happen if I cannot work any more.

Comments

• iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Hi Jacintawhite, Is sad to here you medical state is worsening. I think you could talk to employer to reduce your hours (do not forget the letter from dr. confirming the recommendation to reduce hours). In terms of benefit please repost to one of advisers here as they will more accurate on those subject. As we all know the government is no appreciated and recognising peoples medical problem and even the one with sever disadvantages were forced to go back to work. Not saying that instead seeing increasing trends of employment we see the opposite in UK - decreasing the number of workplaces. I hope I helped a but. Enjoy the weekend as much as you can. 
  • jacintawhite
    iza said:
    Hi Jacintawhite, Is sad to here you medical state is worsening. I think you could talk to employer to reduce your hours (do not forget the letter from dr. confirming the recommendation to reduce hours). In terms of benefit please repost to one of advisers here as they will more accurate on those subject. As we all know the government is no appreciated and recognising peoples medical problem and even the one with sever disadvantages were forced to go back to work. Not saying that instead seeing increasing trends of employment we see the opposite in UK - decreasing the number of workplaces. I hope I helped a but. Enjoy the weekend as much as you can. 

• jacintawhite
    Thank you  Iza for your reply. I  don't know how to  forward to an adviser.  I  will see about reducing my hours at work .It's the fatigue that gets me most and can't do anything to sleep any better. Hope you are well.
    Regards Jacinta. 
  • iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Hi Please follow the link https://community.scope.org.uk/categories

When you scroll dawn at the end of page  is the advisers section. 
    Perhaps, you will find someone who is professional adviser on asked question. 
    Good Luck. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jacintawhite I have moved your post to the Ask a benefits advisor page, can you give a bit more detail so they can help you?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hello Jacintawhite

We may need some more information before we can give more definite advice, but we can hopefully  start putting your mind at ease with some general advice.

If your health is such that you are unable to work, you may be eligible to claim Employment and Support Allowance.  To claim this benefit you will need a fit note (formerly called a sick note) from your GP to say that you are unable to work.  Income and savings may effect entitlement to this benefit. 

If you reduce your hours of work, you may still be eligible to claim Working Tax Credit. (WTC)  Depending on your circumstances you may still qualify for WTC even if your hours of work reduce to 16 hours a week.

Then there is a benefit called Personal Independence payments (PIP).  This benefit recognises the extra costs incurred when someone has ill health.  This benefit is not related to the work place, and is mainly about help a person needs with personal care such as dressing, cooking, washing, budgeting and interacting with others. It also recognises if people have problems with mobility outside of their home.  Do you have any such problems? This benefit can also be claimed regardless of what your income is.  It is just about what difficulties you have.  This also means you can claim this benefit in or out of work.

Do you have a partner that you live with, and if so, do they work? and how many hours a week do they work?  I ask this as a partner’s income and working hours may effect benefit entitlement.

Finally, do you rent your home, or do you have a mortgage?

I hope this information helps, and please post back with more information.

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.