pip review assessment - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip review assessment

Comments

• pip
    pip Community member Posts: 72 Courageous
    edited November 2016
    may I ask any advice:
    i have a mental health condition, so I don't know how I'll be with the home assessment, I may get very anxious etc, the appt is anytime between 9 and 12 and that might not be specific enough for the welfare adviser to come, I'll ask her, it would help to have someone.
    do I need to ask my GP for a report, or let them contact him, ive a consultant care plan from September.
    i live with my elderly mum, so I do housework, shop and care for her, but I still have more bad days than good and they affect how I carry out those things and with difficulties, what can I say that's a fair account?
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    The DWP's own Guide for Professionals tell assessors what to look for and what to ask - so claimants can get a good idea of what to expect at assessment from this - 

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/547146/pip-assessment-guide.pdf

Both the CAB and the Disability Rights websites give advice on how to prepare for PIP assessments.  

The assessor is likely to base many of their questions on your PIP claim form, and diary if you submitted one, with some 'surprise' questions designed to try and trip you up.  If your claim form indicates that you have difficulty doing things on bad days, don't deviate from what you have already said although the assessor will try to get you to contradict yourself.    Go through your claim form, and diary if any, to make sure you remember at the assessment what you have already said in writing.  You can have the form in front of you and refer to it at the assessment.

If the assessor asks how many bad days you have, it's best to keep it simple and say that, on average, you have four, or more as the case may be, bad days a week.

If you have already said in your claim form that you do things for your mum, then they'll ask you about that - but stress that you can only really be of much help to her on good days.  Don't exaggerate the amount of help you give to your mum.

• pip
    thanks Matilda, I hope to see the welfare advice person again quite soon too, I haven't got my claim form, it's a review, I'll have to look at a blank one.
  • Matilda
    I assume that a PIP review is just to see if anything has changed since last time.
  • pip
    that's right, the original pip claim was made by paper, can I ask for that again than a face to face? the welfare advice person might well come to the home assessment. it does worry! 
  • Matilda
    You could ask for another paper assessment - but it does look as if they want to do a face to face this time.  It could be to your advantage if you are anxious at a face to face as they can see that you have a mental health condition.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi pip,

Matilda's advice is useful & I would definitely look at the links she has posted (thanks Matilda). Although you could ask for a paper assessment if they've said they want to see you then that's probably what has to happen. It's good that you've got it at home though.

Definitely do back your own evidence up with anything else you have; a report from your GP is definitely a good idea. As my colleagues have already said, show any evidence to your welfare advice person first to check it's going to be supportive.

Examples are always useful - you could keep a diary in the few days running up to the assessment to show how often you are affected by mental health issues & what happens - what you can and cannot do, whether that affects your safety or how reliably you can do things (with reference to the PIP activities, which you can find here).

Good luck!

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• pip
    thankyou all, a pip assessor came to my home yesterday and the welfare advice person too who has been a great help.
  • don4u2001
    don4u2001 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Hi Michael sorry for the late reply it's for the pip mobility rate we are challenging for my mum as my mum suffers epilepsy and fibromyalgia she is not well to go for a oral appeal we have asked for a written appeal 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Dear don4u2001,
    I can understand why you're going for a written appeal but I'd make it really clear why your mum can't attend. It's useful to get some help with writing the submission (the papers the tribunal look at) so that someone can help you decide which bits of the law to quote and what evidence to include. A CAB may be able to help you with this. 

It is possible to go for an oral hearing if you have a representative who can go, even if you know your mum can't go, but the tribunal might feel that your mum's own evidence is very important. Judges may adjourn a hearing if the claimant doesn't attend.

Bearing that in mind, give as much evidence as you can in the paperwork about how your mum's condition affects the activities in the mobility component. Examples of times she has had seizures and/or not been able to go somewhere due to her condition are really useful.

You can have a look at the points-based system here (the mobility component is in Appendix C). It's useful to relate things your mum can and cannot do directly to the points you think she should get.

Remember that the tribunal can look at the daily living component too even if your mum has already been awarded that.

Do ask us if you have more questions about the appeal.

Will

• pip
    i had a pip assessment at home this week, a welfare advice person came too, the assessor was fair and decent I thought, still I was quite distressed during it and waiting for result now.
  • maggie54
    maggie54 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    My husband was on high rate DLA When he had his pip assessment they told him not to worry as it should stay the same he is severely disabled When we got the letter back they had dropped the payment to standard which means he is over £100 worse .When we phoned them they said they would look into it and it could take up to 6 weeks they asked if he could peel a potato he said yes but he can't do anything with it as he's not safe using the cooker he can't lift anything out or off the hob I phoned them back last week they still have not looked at it I have to call back in 2 weeks and if we don't agree we can appeal which will take more time I am my husbands full time career we did ask our doctor if they could write to them he said if they ask for medical records he will send them. When I told the people at pip they said they don't ask the doctor it's up to us to get the letter so  no one wants to help us we don't know what to do next
  • pip
    edited December 2016
    Maggie I hope they do keep his award the same as he is still severely disabled, there's a benefits advisor on this scope website, it would be good if your GP could help you, its a worry.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo

Hi maggie54,

Are there any other health professionals you know who might be able to provide a letter of support? Has your husband had a care assessment from the local authority? Sometimes care plans can be very useful in showing the help people need.

I think it would be best to see if there is someone locally who can help you with this. If you call the Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333 they will see if there are any local agencies who can assist.

Good luck with the mandatory reconsideration and I hope you hear something soon. Remember you can appeal if the reconsideration is not successful.

Best wishes,

Michael

• maggie54
    Thank you for getting back to me we had a letter today saying there decision stands so we are now going to appeal we are also going to go to  citizens advice to see if they can help 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo

Hi maggie54

Something to be aware of is that when you make an appeal against a decision the whole of your entitlement can be considered which means there is a risk of an award being lowered or removed as well as being increased. 

It's a good idea to get help with making your appeal and as well as Citizens Advice some local councils have welfare rights departments that can also help with appeals so worth asking them too. If you are planning on attending a tribunal hearing is it best to go with a representative so ask if they will provide you with that assistance. 

Please post back on here if you need any further advice. 

Best wishes

Paul

• maggie54
    Thank you I will phone them tomorrow 
  • Matilda
    Paul, is it not the case that, in practice, if a tribunal wants to lower or remove an award they have to warn the claimant in advance and tell them that they may at that point withdraw their appeal and keep any benefits already awarded?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Matilda said:
    Paul, is it not the case that, in practice, if a tribunal wants to lower or remove an award they have to warn the claimant in advance and tell them that they may at that point withdraw their appeal and keep any benefits already awarded?
    Hi Matilda

Yes, a tribunal should give you notice if they are considering lowering an award and thus providing an opportunity to request an adjournment or ask to withdraw your appeal. However, you do need the permission of the tribunal to withdraw the appeal at the actual hearing.

@BenefitsTrainingCo
    Our local council have stopped benefit advisors,there response to that  was there was not a lot of people asking for help....

Hi mumof3boys

I'm sorry to hear that your council has stopped employing benefit advisers especially at a time when the welfare benefits system in the UK is undergoing some of the biggest changes in over 60 years. However, with significant cuts to local authority funding it is becoming more difficult to fund advice and if there is little demand for it then it is even harder to justify.

Best wishes

Paul

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.