Carers Allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers Allowance

MattStuart555
MattStuart555 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, my question is hopefully easily answered. What I would like to know is, if somebody gets carers allowance for an individual lets say Simon, does Simon's benefit get somehow reduced if an individual is getting carers allowance for them? Hope I explained that OK :-)

Comments

• cerisarah
    cerisarah Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Not that I believe, my father in law has DLA and his wife claimed careers allowance and his rate didn't change
  • Angel40
    Angel40 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    I think it can reduce esa payments, depending what rate you are on, eg if the carer gets esa as a couple it can come off the income in some circumstances
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi MattStuart555

The answer to your question is that the cared for person's benefit can sometimes go down. If the cared for person (Simon) lives alone and gets another benefit such as income related Employment and Support Allowance then the Carer's Allowance claim can lead to a reduction in Simon's benefit of £61.85 per week. It is the severe disability premium within certain means tested benefits that can be lost.

If Simon lives with another adult who is not affected by a disability, or he doesn't claim a means tested benefit then Simon's benefits are not likely to be affected by a Carer's Allowance claim.

You can find out more about the severe disability premium here on the Turn2us website.

David
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.