Contraception - what you need, when you need it! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Contraception - what you need, when you need it!

Richard_GP
Richard_GP Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hello all (women mainly :)  and their carers!)

I am a GP (general practitioner) and a researcher. I am applying to get some funding for some research about how women get contraception from their GPs.

I am going use a database of lots of GP records (anonymised of course!) to look at contraception that is given by GPs - who to, what age, when and see if women end using them for long.

I also want to hear about people's experiences of getting contraception from their GPs, using a "focus group" - that is having a group of people to talk about their experiences for a couple of hours and then writing up the key points after the discussion.

I wonder if anyone is interested in giving me any comments about this or want to read the research plan (800 words)?

Please let me know ASAP!!

Many thanks

Richard  :)

Comments

• Richard_GP
    Good morning!

Quick question - what do you think is helpful to get from your GP/nurse to help you make decide on what contraception to use and when?
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    I'd love to read it!

"what do you think is helpful to get from your GP/nurse to help you make decide on what contraception to use and when?"

Pros and cons
    (un)likelihood of pregnancy
    Does it prevent against STDs?
    Cost
    effect on body long term

Really important that GPs don't just try the 'simpler' methods but fit it to the couple / person.

It took us a while to find the right contraception due to several factors. I found myself to be allergic to most condoms, I tried many types of pill but found they really affected my mental health. The cap / diaphragm was just hilarious...but not as daft as the femidom....  

Then came the year of the coil... had it put in in January and found it painful and messy. Bleeding, cramps....not nice. Following Xmas I was in too much pain and had it removed in A and E. Was in right for a year..apparently...

I was sacred of hormones as trying the pill had really upset life. Saw Doctor and they suggested patch. I was on the patch for a year and it worked beautifully with no perceivable side effects.

We then had our daughter. Much easier than trying not to be pregnant!!!!

I now use the implant. Not menstruated for 9 years and never have to think about except for a week every three years where my arm is sore. We are married so no need to protect against STDs.

• Richard_GP
    Thank you for your comment!

I am pleased things are settling with the implant! I have been fitting/removing implant for years. My record is THREE replacements on the same woman since I started doing it so it must be doing something good!!

Your checklist sounds useful. Doctors and nurses sometimes assume you just want to know about the medical effects and side effects. However, as you pointed out - there is more to that and you have to try so many to find one that suits you.

I sometimes ask women - what do you want from a contraception? Will it bother you if your periods became more irregular/more painful/ more heavy? Does it bother you if you gain weight?

You can contact me: r dot ma at imperial dot ac dot uk to find out more.
    If this application gets funded you could join our project advisory committee if it is not too far for you to travel to London? There will be some reasonable expenses paid!

This invitation to others on the Scope online community too!  :)
  • Richard_GP
    Good morning!

Pleased to announce my research proposal has been shortlisted - so next stage - interviews!

I would like to hear from women (and men, and their carers) about getting contraception or advice from GPs.

What helped you with your choice?
    What did you find difficult? (for example, getting the RIGHT information that is RIGHT for you?)
    Did you just get offered the Pill and nothing else?

Would be great to hear from you!

Richard
  • 1BentSpine
    1BentSpine Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    I have spina bifida, and decided in my mid 30s that I didn't want children for a couple different reasons.  I spoke to my GP at the time about get tubligation because I didn't want to be on the Pill because of side effects.  My GP had not hesitation in arranging the surgery, which was done vaginally.  I was in and out of hospital in about 3 days, with no bad side effects or other consequences.  Healed well from surgery and other then not being able to do volunteer work for a few weeks, and no heavy lifting, there were no restrictions when I got home from the hospital.  I have since had a hysterectomy due to a prolapsed uterus and heavy periods.  The heavy periods caused anemia, which of course can cause other issues. Since having the hysterectomy, the anemia is no longer an issue.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.