advise on benefits/support. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

advise on benefits/support.

sarahanne
sarahanne Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Sorry I posted this on someone else's discussion. I didn't realise how to do it to start lol.I am signed off of work with depression, anxiety and stress. Part work related part a number of losses in my life over the past 4 years including loosing my son at 38weeks pregnant. I'm still currently getting csp but this will end soon and I'm not sure I I'm ready or will ever be ready to return. What support is there if i stay signed off or if I hand in my notice. What would be the best option. Your advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Hi Sarahanne, 

Sorry to hear you come true the life hardships, I hope you will feel much better soon and hope you get some family/ fiend support too. 
    Have a nice weekend. 

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    sarahanne,

I think I've answered most of your questions on your previous post but just to say, yes if your statutory sick pay (SSP) is finishing then do claim ESA once SSP comes to an end. You will need to provide sick notes from your GP.  Once you reach the assessment, you can get points within ESA for problems with coping with change and with getting stuff done ('initiating personal action'). Of course we can't say definitively but you may get enough points (15 or more) once you are assessed. You can claim for at least 13 weeks before being assessed.

It doesn't matter whether you stay signed off from work or hand in your notice. As long as your SSP has stopped, you can claim ESA. Being employed or not isn't particularly relevant. You might want to get advice elsewhere on your employment options, as resigning may not be the best option if you think you might want to work somewhere else in the future - on the other hand, it would stop your employer from going for what's called a 'capability' dismissal.

As well as ESA, which might be based on your national insurance contributions if you've been working for a while, I would look at PIP, and perhaps other help if you are on a low income. You can start a benefit check here.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.