Pip home assessment no show. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip home assessment no show.

Options
junior
junior Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I had a home assessment arranged for last week but the assessor didnt arrive. After an hour or so past the apt time I called enquiring what was happening only to be told that the assessment had been cancelled the day before without my knowledge and a letter had been sent out. I didnt receive this letter til the day after the assessment along with a letter telling me I had to go to an assessment centre. Seemingly  my home assessment was cancelled because I suffer from violent intrusive thoughts and it wouldnt be safe for an assessor to come to my home. So why offer a home assessment in the first place@
    I suffer from generalised anxiety disorder, agoraphobia and ocd with intrusive thoughts plus physical problems including chronic pain in back verified by mri scan and chronic pain in legs. I provided GP letter confirming all this plus letter from psychiatrist and a report from psychologist.
   I dont understand why they need to see me in an assessment centre as I dont think I will be able to control my anxiety. 

Comments

• junior
    Options
    Can any advise on the best way forward with this please.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @junior,

First of all I think you should complain about what happened because you couldn't know the home visit had been cancelled, and they should have let you know in advance. You can find out how to complain on the relevant website (ATOS or Capita).

Secondly if you feel that you would not be able to cope with visiting an assessment centre then you should ring and insist on a home visit. Make the point that a home visit is the only type of assessment which is accessible to you because of the nature of your condition. You have a right to have adjustments made because of your condition, under the Equality Act. If that means you need a home visit, you can insist on one. 

Guidance on home visits is given to the assessment companies by the DWP - have a look at the paragraphs from para 2.7.20.

The guidance does mention health and safety implications of home visits but of course there are ways to offset these. For example, the assessor could bring someone with them, and inform you that they are doing so. 

Any medical evidence you have from a GP or a consultant about why you wouldn't be able to cope with an assessment centre would be helpful (unfortunately, confirmation of your diagnoses may not be enough by itself). Try to explain for example (I know this is stressful in itself) why attending an assessment centre is likely to make your symptoms worse.

Take your complaint further if you need to - the company should explain what to do if you are not satisfied with their response.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• junior
    Options
    Will
        Thank you very much for your reply. I have an apt tomorrow with my GP and will find out if she is willing to write another letter supporting me with this. My GP has already provided a letter of support. My psychiatrist has also provided a letter.
        I will also look into what you suggested and keep you informed of the out come.
  • junior
    Options
    I have been awarded enhanced in both care and mobility, thank you for your help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi junior

I'm really pleased to hear of this. Thanks for letting us know.

David
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @junior how are you getting on? We have a guest post about OCD that you might like to read.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.